1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what do you do with a child not allowed to do PE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kettlebabes, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I usually tell them to put on coat and they walk around the PE area to keep warm. It kind of depends on reason why they are not participating in PE, if its a mobility issue due to injury or such like then I'll ask a colleague to have them. If it's fine and warm then they would come out and be a 'helper.' But yes, with cooler weather then I'd ask a colleague to have them if the rest of class were outside.

2. I usually ask them to put on a coat and help me referee/give feedback/encouragement to those taking part. Sometimes, if there are a few, I let them 'play' on the trim trail/football, but I'm not sure how 'allowable' this is really!

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Depends on the illness but if they are ok to be outside then they should be with you learning from the lesson. Obviously wapped up warm with coat, hat, scarf etc.
    I usually get my children to take a notepad and they can score different children's performance out of 10 and give a reason. We then feedback at the end of the lesson and they tell me what they thought (obviously not the children who scored particularly low scores!)

4. If they're fit enough to play why aren't they doing PE?!
    I can't remember a single occasion when I've had a few childrern not doing PE - 2 would be very unusual.

5. I agree. If they are fit to go out at playtime then they are fit to do P.E.
    If they aren't fit enough to go out to play then they shouldn't be in school. The only exceptions would be broken limbs or immune deficiency disorders (leukaemia etc).

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

If indoor PE they sit in the hall and read a book.
    If outdoor they sit in the office and read a book.
    Needless to say - they don't go out for lunch and play. Funnily enough, this is rarely popular.

7. Good point, I'm definitely going to tell them they'll be missing playtime from now on.

8. I wasn't particularly meaning through illness. I have children who miss PE because they go out for a music lesson part way through, or because they have forgotten kit etc

9. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I would have the ones who miss part of it due to a Music lesson join the PE lesson after the Music is finished.
    Mine who have no kit complete an observation sheet where they comment on the skills learnt, how they think they can apply them to the game and then they comment on one child's perdormance during the lesson with what they did well and what they could improve (constructive criticism only allowed!).

10. Not that easy though. Mine have a 30 minute lesson slap bang in the middle of PE. Not every week though as the music teacher rotates the timetable, meaning they don't always miss the same lesson. When it is during PE, and if there's time, then they join in, if not then they just have to watch. I have 3 different music groups who go out at different points on my PE afternoon and they can't switch groups as they're based on ability. The parents pay for the lessons as well so it cannot be missed or altered. I just tell the sportier boys that I try my best to accommodate them for PE but that they can't do everything.

11. That is a pain! Our music lessons are before/after school or during assembly, I would be very annoyed with kids coming and going during lessons. As for the forgotten kit thing collect spare kit and make them wear that! (I ask the kids to donate anything they grow out of.)

12. The music lessons realy don't make it worthwhile them taking part for the five minutes eigther side they'd get! It is much more disruptive to have to find them a group/explain what's going on etc.
    It's unfortunate they miss so much PE (and other subjects) but music is massively important at our school and the vast majority of the children play an instrument of some sort.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Tip: Go to lost property. Get together a collection of nastiest leftover PE kit you can find. Keep it in a bag as spare kit. When children forget PE kits, ensure they wear said 'spare kit'. They rarely ever forget again.

14. I have a 'non participant in PE' sheet that children have to complete during the lesson. Depending on age group, they have prompt questions to answer about the PE lesson. Completed sheet is then returned to me at end of lesson.

15. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Don't even get me started on the music issue! That hits my core subjects much to my irritation, especially when it's the chn who need what you've planned the most and then you can't catch them up due to multiple enrichment activities.
    Thank you for the suggestions re: activity sheets etc. I'll definitely follow that. Love the idea of the break time penalty (excuse the pun). However, in our school, would say that parents rule the roost and what they say goes, even when you feel different. That's not my wish, it's the ethos of where I joined. That's not me being anti parent by the way. I'm all for supportive collaboration towards pupil improvement and enjoyment of school, but not when it's like it is where I am. My original question came following parental insistance that chd was 'unwell' still (having already had a week off), despite running round the playground screaming after friends, appearing to be in rude health. I have raised this with colleagues before, but it would seem the ethos is to leave it be. The activities and chance to have a cross curricular Literacy practice might take effect. Thank you.

16. The last (parental attitudes) is why we are unable to enforce children wearing old kit at my school! It is felt by certain parents to be 'demeaning' and so we don't do it.
    Knickers and vest I say!

17. PE should be inclusive, and having them 'walk around the block in a coat' or have them inside. They should be included in as many parts of your lesson as possible. That would mean having them bring in some warm outdoor clothing and joining you in a role of coach/teacher/official etc.

There is no is absolutely no reason why he cannot be part of your lesson still in an active role. If the parent continues to complain that he should not be outside I would be stating that it is my job to include ALL students in ALL lessons. You have taken measures to keep them warm by having them bring in warm clothing.

The student will probably appreciate the effort you make as they will provably still want to be in your lesson.

18. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Again, like the idea. Will talk to my head about that one. It's particularly frustrating when you have nowhere safe to leave them without intruding on someone else's lesson. That again, would be a good option. Thank you.

19. I use this sheet: https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Forgotten-PE-kit-sheet-6150226/

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Cheers