1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do when there's no supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nimmity, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm newly on the supply list at two agencies this term. I wasn't expecting to hear anything last week as nobody is ever ill in the first week of term. Reading everyone's comments about not getting any work for two years is a little worrying. If you're not getting supply work how does everyone pay the rent/mortgage/bills etc?
    Should I sign up for a temping agency? But seeing as supply comes in that morning how would I give them my availability?
    Does waiting for supply work count as job seeking?

Any pearls of wisdom out there before I go and ask tesco for a job!

2. If you are young and cheap so that your wages won't potentially leap upwards by sixty quid a daydue to AWR (unlikely to be employed in the first place because of this even if you do say you'll work for peanuts) then I hope you get as much out of the system as possible before the phone calls stop. I have not worked in a school since July and have ended off working in a chocolate factory (quite good, cheap chocolate) and a sports clothing warehouse. The latter has shown me what it is like to be an ethnic minority (I'm not Polish) and suffer discrimination. I talked to someone who worked in a Tesco supply warehouse and they said that it was the worst job they had ever done because the setup is very good at punishment and praise is non-existent.

Basically you starve, even if only the kids eat and you make do with toast as all the utility companies keep puting up their prices to maintain their profits for the shareholders so you end up with less and less on a minimum wage. When was the last time you heard of a headteacher taking a low wage to help the school budget rather than employ cover supervisors at £50 a day? Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is £48.64.

3. The worse thing is difficult planning finance - and I have had regular part-time teaching in a school for the past three years. I have a lodger, I do mystery shopping (you schedule time and place), I have a flexy job with Schwartz herbs and spices Sundays and summer holidays I work in a local museum, I do bar work over the summer at local events. I am a tutor for a training programme, I have private students. I have a small business. I do all this and work at least 6 days a week and most of the holidays and pull in less than a perm teacher....

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If signing on for JSA, waiting for the phone to ring from your agencies does not count as jobseeking but ... contacting the agencies daily or several times per week does count towards your jobsearch duties. Updating your CV to agencies also counts as a jobearch activity as does contacting schools direct with your CV and looking at TES jobs on-line/ in the paper and checking other sources for vacancies (LA bulletins in school staffrooms, local papers, school websites etc)

5. It's completely immoral and unacceptable! Schools are employing unqualified staff as "teachers".[​IMG]

6. Private tutoring and sats marking kept me afloat - and we can just-say manage on hubby's salary.

Given up completely now though - wasn't economically viable to run the second car to get me to work bookings with how work had dried up, and then events took over and my little girl arrived 7 weeks prematurely as well!

7. Congratulations on the new arrival!!!

8. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

First I hope everyone is fine, especially your young baby.
    Personally I start to worry about money or the lack of it, when there is no work, then I begin to wonder if I am at fault for there being no work, then I get depressed knowing that I have to go and sign on for the JSA to allow me to buy some food and hoping that I will get some work to avoid doing so.