1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do when the builders are in?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Mar 24, 2016.

?

What do you do when the builders are in?

1. Hide in the kitchen

2. Provide endless refreshments

3. Supervise closely

4. Just the same as usual - why not?

5. Other (please give details)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

(inspired by Susan Calman)

They don't even seem to want cups of tea anymore. It's all supermarket energy drinks and Monster Munch.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I really want to supervise closely but don't want to look as though I am so I flit and flutter about just happening to catch a sneaky peak in passing. I just happen to be passing very often. It's utterly ludicrous behaviour that I'm very embarrassed about.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I couldn't hide in the kitchen. It was the kitchen they were ripping apart!

I just do TES as usual punctuated by coffee. I buy plenty of biscuits. I want them to be happy in their work.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As an ex builder I just want to be left alone to get on with the job.So thats is what I do if I have a workman in .I offer drinks and watch from time to time but do not interfere unless I have a question or dont like how something is done.
    WhenIi ripped my own kitchen apart I had Mrs Oldly asking when would it be finished all the while.......when i do the bathroom that is going to be fun...I am going to give her a bucket with a seat on the top!

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

I feel lazy and guilty sitting about doing nothing while other people work. When we had the bathroom done I saved up lots of washing and gardening so I could be busy.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ask them NOT to play their radio at full blast.

GLsghost and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The men who did our attic conversion have just left. I stayed away from the top floor and just let them get on with it, apart from when I was taking them tea. They were very nice people, and quite chatty. Quite different from the men who re-wired our house last year.
    P.S. attic conversion took almost three weeks, and although th men were lovely, I'm glad they've finished.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Three weeks! I supposed it is a lot of work. I hate the disruption. If I had visitors I liked rather than just random folk I would still be glad to see the back of them after three weeks!

coffeekid likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry, I thought this was a ladies only thread and the title was a euphemism !

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It depends- our snagging man Alan likes a cuppa when he arrives and regular top ups thereafter. He likes a chat while he's having it. He works really hard though and has go pen above and beyond- everyone says the same. Several people have contacted his boss with very positive feedback and so he goes the extra mile again.

We always offer a drink as they come through the door. Mostly they want one, but not always. Then I show them where they need to go and leave them to it, hovering within earshot in case I'm needed. I clean upstairs if they're downstairs and vice versa. If I know them well, like Alan, I'll go out if I need to, otherwise I lurk. Once, I got very annoyed with the man fixing my hob, who hadn't brought the right materials, despite having been apprised of the issue and I got out the ironing board and banged around ironing a sheet. I never iron sheets. When he came back with the right stuff, he brought a mate with him. I think he was frit.

coffeekid likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

You must have a particularly aggressive ironing style!

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I did that day!

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

To be fair, we'd been using a camping gaz stove for several weeks and I had expected the correct parts would be brought. Naive?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think we need another thread all about how it's looking and how you are going to decorate and furnish it. :)

coffeekid likes this.
  15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

It will be the living room as we are having our kitchen extended. A good friend is doing it. I always stay away, but my OH doesn't. He is talking about taking holiday whilst the building work is going on and I can see the end of a beautiful friendship, cos he irritates the hell out of me during decorating work!! I have yet to warn our friend that his ears will be throbbing with the constant questions/ interrogation. :rolleyes:

16. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

Pace up and down the back garden wondering how poor a job they'll do.
    The tiler didn't disappoint - it was shocking.

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I had them in for 2 days last week and during their lunch they were out helping me play with my toy(s) and playing with them themselves.

And then they had to watch the videos. :D
    I'm surprised they finished the work so quickly

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The thatchers are doing the roves here and we have scaffolding all along the front and back of the cottages. I can step out of my bedroom window onto the decking or sit outside in the covered area.

At present the look is 'Boris' or 'Trump' but soon it will get its hairnet on.

The downstairs rooms are very dark because the scaffolding boards block out the light.

I love it.

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You might be confusing this with "having the decorators in" which I discovered from a woman I dated for a while, was a euphemism for a certain time of the month.