1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do to get your class's attention?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by geribreton, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I will start teaching Reception in Sept and would love some suggestions for this age group...
    Thanks!

2. Hi everyone,

I will start teaching Reception in Sept and would love some suggestions for this age group...
    Thanks!

3. Hi,
    In our school some teachers use a bell to signal the children's attention, some use a tambourine and some clap a rhythm and expect the children to repeat it.
    There are lots of different ways but you must choose one and stick to it for it to work.

4. This year I have a maraca which i shake until all children wiggle their fingers with nothing in them and are looking at me. This has saved my voice loads. last year I 'said' ''fingers'' to which they all put down what they were doing and did as this year.

5. I use a tamborine - when they hear it they are supposed to put things down and wriggle their fingers. Takes training at first but they are very good at it now - even if I shake it really quietly thye respond really quickly. x

6. I sing everything, In my training i was given this tip and haven't stopped singing since.
    I make up the tune and the words and it changes all the time but it focuses on the behaviour i want to see and then includes the names of the children who are doing the behaiour - they are so pleased if they hear their name!

I stated with tickly, tickly bumble bees, who is sitting nicely? Then you sing the names... Abdullah'sa sitting nicely, Mohamed's sitting nicely ..... until they all
    not sure why bumble bees are tickly??? reading this back i feel sorry for my Nursery Nurse. Poor women listening to me twittering away all day.

7. I use a small bell to stop the children
    To get them queit on the carpet or to help transition to the carpet, we sing an echo song
    "Are you ready?" Are you ready?
    "Sitting down" "Sitting down"
    "Now it's time to listen" "Now it's time to listen"
    "Not a sound" "Not a sound"
    Once they hear the start of the song, they quickly come and settle on the carpet and love whispering 'not a sound' very very quietly
    <h2></h2>

8. Like nicolaed said, singing instructions tends to work better than saying them. I sing "put your bottom on the rug, on the rug" and "put your hands in your lap and let me see you smile" (to the same tune as "put your finger in the air, in the air") to get students settles on the rug, or "everybody have a seat, have a seat, have a seat, everybody have a seat on (the floor/your chair), not on the ceiling, not on (the door/your hair) everybody have a seat on (the floor/your chair)" to the tune of "shortning bread."
    I actually have songs for lots of different transitions, and they work quite well.

9. Hi

I use small wind chimes. Everyone coming into the class are amazed at how effective they are. Even the children outside can hear them and they are not that loud. I don't begin talking until everyone has put down what they are playing with. I have a child who has very challenging behaviour and even he puts down what he is playing with as he knows that he, and anyone else still playing, will have have to stop for an extra minute after everyone else begins playing. This may sound extreme but everyone stops very quickly and then can go back to the activity, if not tidy up time, and continue.

Wish you all the best.

10. To get the children to come together we use a large symbol (picture) and a tambourine. Then I use 'copy me' activity where the children copy actions, facial expressions, clapping rhythms or voice sounds. The funnier they are, the more engaged the children become. We also use large visual cues (A4) with widget symbold for Tidy up, story time, good listening and good sitting. I have also used 'Tidy up music' specifically for that time only.
    The children need to have it explained in the first place, they may need supervision intially, but they soon pick up the idea and join in with the tidying. I also use a gold shoe box which I put objects in, the children guess what it might be, listen and guess again, then we sing 'What's in the box? What's in the box? Open it and see, open it and see. Then we look inside. It could be anything, as long as sometimes it is exciting. Visual props really engage young children. I always make sure I hve all the children's attention before starting anything. And use your Teaching Assistant. Hope this helps

11. I have a little bottle of bubbles - when I blow them the children must stop and listen.

I also sing every request - to the tune of do re mi and the children repeat..

who has opened their copy? I have opened my copy!
    who is sitting? I am sitting etc.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I love hearing that people sing a lot in EYs. I'm a 'song for everything' person myself - with the sole exception of when I want them all to listen! We even have a song for zipping up coats.

13. If they are at tables I say "look at me" they stop and listen, If they are on the carpet I sit in my chair and they know it is time to stop talking and listen.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've been fortunate enough to have classes like that, teejay. Of course, the fact that we are brilliant teachers with a mesmerising manner has something to do with it.

15. The children love the routine stuff if we do it with a song - washing hands for dinner, tidying up, getting ready for hometime etc.
    Always do it with a song I say. My children count brilliantly in 5's since we did it with a song!
    Doing new words to a tune you (and they) know helps if you want to reuse it. But I do like the idea of making it all up as you go along and children will follow suit (which will get them aspects of CD7 on their FSP!!!).
    You should have no problem getting their attention if you sing!

16. Thanks so much everyone! I particulary love the idea of singing. Is there anywhere in particular where you can find these kinds of songs online or is it literally a matter of making up your own?

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's better to makeup your own with a little help from the children. Nothing complicated or long - just a few lines to a well-known nursery rhyme tune will do.

18. Every class I have is like that Inky