1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do on open evening?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by siamanti, Sep 20, 2012.

1. After doing interactive whiteboard exercise led by current pupils we have been told to change the format to make it more inspiring. Can I ask hat you do with your department as we find it hard to come up with ideas, other than the good old language bistros.
    Thanks in advance
    Ben

2. they walk up the stairs, accompanied by 'la mer' at full blast. I, as HOD, do my spiel, then children in the crowd, prepped by us in one of our MFLs taught, call out phrases about why they learn a language, why languages are useful, what they LOVE about learning languages with us at our school etc... and we translate.
    There are interactive activities on the PCs for them to try, aided and abetted by students, they can record themselves and play it back on headphones.
    And we shove patisserie down their necks until they turn green.
    Ahhh. And then there's the annual hunt for an unadulterated dictionary to put out on display. that's always a crowd pleaser too...
    Get your Language Leaders (or similar) to wander round the corridors, offering nibbles on platters, speaking simple French and German.
    HTH
    Pinsk.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Interesting. We do similar things but without the patisserie however I believe LMT think we are ready for a change so I am looking for ideas as I can't think of much else to do apart from interactive pc tasks and patisserie :)

Keep them coming-our open evening is so soon.
    :)

jubilee and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

At my previous school, we used to have a quiz on languages and language leaders were making name tags with children getting them to repeat in whatever language.
    And of course food. SMTs would always come round to get cheese or tortilla.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. oooh - match the cheese to the name. Awesome.
    I'm totally adopting that one! THere's a Hartskäse that I can get a relative to send out to me.
    (If it gets through customs mind, it stinks beyond belief!!)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. emefelle

emefelle New commenter

I realise this may not be an option available to everyone, but we teach Mandarin as an extra-curricular language. On Open Evenings the Mandarin teacher comes in & does calligraphy demonstrations. As families come round, whilst we're chatting to the parents, the children can have a go at simple Chinese calligraphy & she writes the children's names in Chinese characters, which they can then take away with them. Could also be done in Russian or Arabic (or any language with a different alphabet) I suppose?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Thanks for the Guess the Cheese idea, we pinched it for our Open Day and it worked really well (well, except next time I don't think I'll include soft cheeses, bit too messy and impractical). We are lucky to have a computer suite so we put linguascope on a few machines and chat to parents whilst the little ones have a go. Parents are always impressed with the fact their child refuses to move on to somewhere else and is genuinely engrossed in their learning. Might be something you can do with a few laptops?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

Yes, thanks for the Cheese idea! One for us too, I shall put it forward.
    But in a completely honest answer to the original question, this is a new school for me and as well as encouraging new kiddies and parents to the best of my ability, of course, I intend to try very hard to chat up one of the the geography teachers, who should be in a nearby room, who is currently unattached and who is a major babe. [​IMG]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. No food for us...history do a tenuous olive etc / Roman nibble tasting...we decided to branch out last year with the German equivalent of Saturday night...Das rote Pferd, complete with dance actions...while the more sedate could role playdoh croissants.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Would be interested in hearing what you did. We have a language quiz with simple words, all of which can be found on displays around the room. We also have a foodie table with cut up croissants, sliced baguettes with pate, brie and boursin. and we used to do coffee but stopped as folk were carrying it around the school along with their snacks!
    Like the idea of a name badge given to participating pupils with Je m'appellle ____
    Lots of our pupils do powerpoints on various topics, It would be an experiment to see if they could be run on a loop on the IWB.
    All work for the teacher, as you have to have your classroom looking spick and span as well!! This "all singing, all dancing" stuff does my head in, or maybe I'm just getting too old.......!!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. salsera

salsera New commenter

I get all department staff to first put on their cancan outfits or French maid outfits - makes for an interesting evening!
    Have you looked at the Mrgorse stuff on you tube - gangnam style - brilliant!! also dejeuner du matin - fab..that can be playing
    You can loop student work done on PPs - we've done PPs with Mr Men and Springville avators
    You could get them to create their own Springville avator using a set sheet of descriptions

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. jimjam87

jimjam87 New commenter

My HoD has asked me to come up with some ideas for Open Evening in a couple of weeks. She had already suggested the guess the cheese quiz, and I really like the café idea instead of just giving away the food. Does anyone have any other ideas other than the usual interactive stuff/linguascope, etc?

Thanks

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. threemonkeysandadog

threemonkeysandadog New commenter

Hi. For our German open evening, we made 'Schultute' with the Y6s, They were given simple phrases to write on a piece of sugar paper, and stickers to decorate it, and then we made them into cones, into which they could put a sweet for every phrase they had written.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Das ist eine tolle Idee!

15. theidealteacher1

theidealteacher1 New commenter