1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do instead of SEAL?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purplehands, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I've decided I've had enough of SEAL, I'm bored of it and I don't think it has a massive impact on our children's social and emotional skills. Having talked to other teachers it seems that I'm not the only one who has this opinion. I'm going to speak to my head about possibilities tomorrow but I'd like as many ideas as possible. I'm particularly interested on focusing more on global citizenship rather than all the individual stuff you get with SEAL (without abandoning those sort of skills altogether).
    So if you don't do SEAL for PSHE at your school what do you do?

2. I've decided I've had enough of SEAL, I'm bored of it and I don't think it has a massive impact on our children's social and emotional skills. Having talked to other teachers it seems that I'm not the only one who has this opinion. I'm going to speak to my head about possibilities tomorrow but I'd like as many ideas as possible. I'm particularly interested on focusing more on global citizenship rather than all the individual stuff you get with SEAL (without abandoning those sort of skills altogether).
    So if you don't do SEAL for PSHE at your school what do you do?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I hate the SEAL plans and resources, but don't mind the topic headings and objectives. So I rewrite the lesson plans to suit the needs of my class as they are right now.

Going for Goals...Seal says something about getting children to think what they want to be when they grow up and take steps towards it. As most 10 year olds will not become what they want to be at the moment (ie premiership footballer or WAG) it seems a bit of a waste of time. so we thought what we wanted to achieve by the end of term and then steps towards that.

The ideal school thing. Errr my class's ideal school involved things like riding lessons and laptops for everyone! Sooo we abandoned that idea and thought about how we could make our class and our school as close to ideal as possible and what we could do with what we have.

I honestly believe that writing your own scheme, under board topic headings and broad objectives, that suit your class in your school at the moment is the best way to teach PSHCE. Buying in a scheme will never be half as good. Yes you have ot rewrite every year, but for such a crucial subject it is worth the time.

4. Thanks Minnieminx. Def not looking to buy in a scheme, I am wanting us to do our own so your ideas are a good start. I'm the PSHE coordinator so am looking to redo it for the whole school. As we are a big school and have had problems with consitency I need to give reasonable guidance, but desperately want teachers to think of their own class needs rather than just blindly following the SEAL plans.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have a staff meeting later this week with PSHCE as the focus. A new member of staff loves SEAL and would like us all to use it, the PSHCE co-ordinator would like everyone to actually teach PSHCE every week. If you are still looking by then, I'll let you know what happens.

Could, of course, be nothing. Our staff are very good at discussing all sorts of things and making no changes at all.

6. laurafayjohnson

laurafayjohnson New commenter

Can you guys give me some advice.. I am an re teacher but have taught pshe within our very small primary and secondary school. Having no pshe training I have simply followed the seal program and used a text book for the senior school. I am one person teaching several subjects from y3 -y13 so I am unsure about the direction to take pshe. I feel we are stagnating but am in need of a direction. Resources are virtually non existent and funds are low to say the least.... help :( I would like to take it more cross curricular an incorporate it into what is being taught in other subjects.... ie holocaust in History, Animal farm in English etc!!!!!

7. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Made me chuckle. It's just the same in my school and suspect, many others!

8. GoGivers is a great free website - lots on global citizenship. Like anything, we use this in combination with other sites.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

www.health-for-life.org.uk

We use this. The lesson plans are much more accessible than SEAL. There are 2 books, for different age ranges.

10. Know some people who have been thinking about using picture books as the inspiration for PSHE. I don't mean My parents are divorced type books more books like Rainbow Fish as a starting point for discussion as this then links to how schools are encouraging use of quality texts for all sorts of learning. Think this would mean finding lots of really good texts and then finding a list of potential themes and matching the two. Think PSHE really should reflect needs of a class but agree especially in larger schools or places where it could just disappear you need a basic framework of skills and areas that must be discussed as a minimum.

If anyone wants we could collaborate on here and at least come up with text ideas

11. I would be interested in this Bluerose. I could teach PSCHE to my class all day, every day they have so many issues (in fact I do teach it all the time as it comes into everything) but through books would be much better than SEAL.

12. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

I remember our LA used to sort out the texts (library loans) for my previous school linked to the current SEAL topic. I know you had to pay for the service. Not sure if LAs still do this.

13. Think ill start another topic for this then and see if people add to it. Im thinking of books that have messages but are lovely stories in themselves ie not just books written about specific topics although those might be useful too.