1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in year 9?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by dianaprince, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Because of the changes to linear/modular exams, we are no longer going to start short course in year 9 and top up to full course in year 11. We are going to run traditional KS3 year 9 and option RS in 10 and 11 (with some non-examined in there too!)
    Anyway, just looking for ideas for SOWs for year 9. I want things that are engaging etc, but want to avoid the GCSE topics we do- so medical ethics, captial punishment, prejudice, relationships etc.
    I am thinking of an evil and suffering unit with some focus on Job and the Holocaust.
    What do you do with year 9?

2. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

We do, the holocaust which takes quite a long time (including why were jews persecuted, the time line of events, life in the ghettos, life in concentration camp, the united nations human rights act - also lots of opportunities for bringing inliterature & films), and depending on the year group also look at more recent examples of genocide. We also look at Martin luther king & civil rights in america and Malcom X & Islam. We normally do an introdcution to why do people believe in God. Have thought about doing work on israel as the home of 3 religions. This is in some of the text books.
    Hope this gives you some ideas

3. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

We do an introduction to GCSE and then run the GCSE full course. We only have on lesson a week so it makes sense to spread the GCSE. We have only ever offered exams in year 11 anyway.

4. We only have an hour a week too. But it wouldn't be possible as there isn't enough timetable time to run an hour a week for all pupils in year 11. Some of them do a twilight, and some a lesson. But English and Maths use that time for intervention work to get some kids their C grade.
    I know some people won't like that, but I think it is more important that some of these kids get their C grade, than a RS qualification.
    I also don't like starting GCSE in year 9, I find that our kids aren't ready for it, it is a hard slog.

5. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

We do the holocaust too but only half a term. We link with the History dept who also cover it in Year 9 so they do the basic facts and we look at it from a more personal religious view.
    We also do an intro to Philosophy of Religion, Buddhism and suffering, Relgion and the media, and Religion and Science.

6. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

I do work on the 'god question' then move that into a quick(ish) study of the 5 major religions (+ a few more). We then do a mini-project on Jerusalem to demonstrate the overlap between Judaism, Christianity and Islam; the role of religion in History and conflict and the development of those religions over time. I also introduce a lot of philosophical themes and do a little on some of the major philosophers - a 'question box' is great for this, especially when the questions are put to the kids. Some of the responses to stuff like 'what is beyond the universe?' can be fantasic and much more immaginitive than anything I could come up with.

7. We look at the environment and animal rights and then a unit on Decision making (unitilitarianism, categorical imperitive etc), conflict and genecide and next I'm thinking of doing a unit on clearing up conspiracy theories including looking at Freemasonery and Illuminati. I change things yearly and let the students give me ideas as to what to teach. I also regularly have PGCE students and this is the one year group when I give them the flexibility to pick a topic.
    I basically do the most amazing and fascinating topics to ensure that nobody moans about having to do compulsory RS in years 10 and 11!

8. We've been doing a new unit focussing on marriage, semi-experienctial with acting out certain ceremonies plus looking at civil partnerships & arranged & forced marriages. I was aware that many GCSE course's have a 'marriage & family' element, so have made sure it would be a good foundation for the GCSE.
    I wanted something more light hearted as I was worried our Yr9 was a bit 'heavy', with our holocaust unit & terrorism unit. Plus, they really enjoy the weddings and with options it's a cheeky bit of advertising!

9. We do much the same (assume you also teach in Berkshire) though having done Buddhism with year ten in East Riding of Yorks, I think it is far better leaving it to then when pupils can appreciate and understand it better.

10. Our topics in year 9 are Choices, Conscience, Light and Dark, Islam and Rites of Passage.