1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the Holidays?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

What do other supply teachers do in the holidays for work/pay?
    Easter is fast approaching and while I AM filled with the joy of Spring (no, really!) I am also faced with the prospect of two weeks unpaid. Yes, I know we are lucky compared to some etc, etc and all those arguments. I do practise gratitude every day etc - but bills and debts (incurred only by day to day living) still need to be paid.
    Last Summer I worked as a temp cleaner, which was fine, with nice colleagues etc but obviously lower rate of pay. It was a good lesson in making the most of the little you have, but part of me thinks no! d****t! I should be in a full time post, secure in the holidays like certain colleagues! I think while I love supply, I want to go back to a permanent post, even if it is only for the security until things level out a bit? I just don't want to be bullied again and how do you ever tell that from just an interview perspective?
    Just wondered what others do in holidays for work/pay?

2. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

What do other supply teachers do in the holidays for work/pay?
    Easter is fast approaching and while I AM filled with the joy of Spring (no, really!) I am also faced with the prospect of two weeks unpaid. Yes, I know we are lucky compared to some etc, etc and all those arguments. I do practise gratitude every day etc - but bills and debts (incurred only by day to day living) still need to be paid.
    Last Summer I worked as a temp cleaner, which was fine, with nice colleagues etc but obviously lower rate of pay. It was a good lesson in making the most of the little you have, but part of me thinks no! d****t! I should be in a full time post, secure in the holidays like certain colleagues! I think while I love supply, I want to go back to a permanent post, even if it is only for the security until things level out a bit? I just don't want to be bullied again and how do you ever tell that from just an interview perspective?
    Just wondered what others do in holidays for work/pay?

3. I work in a museum on a seasonal basis. Will start working Sunday from 1 April then full-time over the summer and I go back every year. I work as a transcient merchandiser for Schwartz doing holiday cover for a lady with two children under 8. I am a mystery shopper. I am also a freelancer doing family activities at another museum. I also have my own business... pretty busy really. I am a tutor for a charity and do paid work for them.
    I was an HoD on a lot more money, but much happier now, and financially things starting to come together - also starting my PhD part-time September so can't work in a perm post again.