1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in KS2 Golden Time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by garth1978, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hi. I need some fresh ideas for the kids for Golden Time. We have 30 minutes on Friday's. The kids really enjoy it but I would appreciate some new activities that have been 'tried and tested. What do other Teacher's offer for activities at this time? What could I offer that would leave them devastated if they had time taken away from them!

2. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

I don't do Golden Time in KS2 and never have.
    Frankly, there isn't enough time. How about a half hour slot on the correct use of apostrophes?

digoryvenn, bevdex and Alexiacb30 like this.
  3. Sorry but would have to echo Winnie Woo!

4. karentee

karentee New commenter

We join classes, so that there are more adults to run/organise/supervise different activities which means we can offer lots of different things like cooking, football, modelmaking etc, although we have an hour every few weeks, not half each week

5. We've been doing G.T. for some years and the kids really love it. We do all sorts of activities from making bread buns (we buy the dough ready made from a local bakers) to washing staff cars!!!!!! (that was one of the most popular - with the children, not the staff.)
    Other activities have been Bingo, jewellry making, Fimo, clay, 'chill and chat' table tennis, dance, ICT games - some children just like colouring sheets.
    Recently we ran a themed session on Italy. We did pizza making, ice cream making, mosaics, Italian language.

6. Hehe. You cheeky lil Monkey! Stick to the question please.[​IMG]

7. Sorry. The above was for Winnie

8. Great ideas so far. Thanks. Anything else to keep GT exciting?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was under the impression Golden Time was a reward for being good and a chance to relax and do as you please. I'd just let KS2 children choose what to do.

We don't have golden time as such above KS1 in our school, but sometimes let the children have 'choosing time' and they always choose something acceptable. Some do drawing, some reading, some model making, some card games, some board games, so chat, some dressing up, some sewing, some football is weather permits.

10. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

On the rare occasion I get everything finished in the week and we have a chance for some Golden Time with my year 6 class I ask them to choose. Usually they just want to go outside for some extra play time. Easily pleased my bunch!

MerylS91 likes this.
  11. I'm in a Y3 class, and we do an hour's GT every Friday afternoon.
    Recently, we've done shadow puppets; making them one week and doing shows the following. We also occasionally do a short documentary screening, usually from the BBC's Natural History dept., and follow it with a competitive quiz across the class.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I thought GT was a reward and child led.

If they effectively become an art or DT lesson, then they are no longer GT, surely.

Sounds a lot of fun though.

13. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I didn't mean you specifically, but it is actually rude to express your opinion when you have not been asked for it.

As the topic was what do you do in KS2 Golden Time, not Do you think KS2 should have G/T.

bamcoop likes this.
  14. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

I've been teaching for over 20 years and have never done it or worked in a school where it was acceptable. I have years 6 - we only just manage to fit the curriculum in as it is. My head would have kittens if I started doing Golden Time! Anyway, I just don't have enough time to give the children an hour of "choosing", lovely though it would be. In answer to the topic "what do you do in Golden Time?" my response was that I teach children!
    I don't think that it's rude to express your opinion on a public forum. But as you do, I expect that you also must think that it was very rude that you commented on my post. as I didn't ask you for your response. Fortunately, I understand that this is a public forum so I won't hold it against you. I hope you can forgive yourself.
    You are completely free to make any comment you like on this post as I won't be reading it!

Gerbils150 likes this.
  15. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I will feel free to comment though you obviously know you are in the wrong. More than likely you will read this, but won't comment.

Your answer was still inappropriate, as you don't have Golden Time. Clearly you just felt it necessary to make a sarcastic comment and express your unsolicited opinion. This quite obvious from your above sarcasm. While it is an open forum there are still an expected etiquette.

Sorry to the OP that your topic has been hijacked.

tminnis250 and bamcoop like this.
  16. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Ironic given that you're the one who has derailed this one... You seem very precious about this topic: people postin 'on topic'.
    • D

tminnis250 likes this.
  17. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

(apologies, firefox error)
    • Do you feel guilty about the fact that you spend Friday afternoons lazing while the rest of us are teaching?
    • Or is it the fact that your class only behave because they are bribed an end of week collective carrot?
    Either way, as long as your head and line manager accept your choices, don't let others' opinions bother you.

18. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

Oh go on then, I know I said I wouldn't but this is starting to amuse me now!
    What exactly makes you think that I know I'm in the wrong? (Wrong about "golden time" or wrong about posting?) The post was about what you do for "golden time", I said I don't do it because I don't have time. This is my opinion and you are more than welcome to disagree, but I haven't realised that I'm wrong. I really can't see where I've been rude or inappropriate, though, yes I admit to some healthy sarcasm, and I apologise to anyone whom I may have inadvertently offended. The only sarcastic thing I said was in the original comment about apostrophes, which was taken quite graciously by the OP, I thought.
    For goodness sake, we're all supposed to be professionals. We are allowed to disagree without it being seen as rudeness.

Gerbils150 likes this.
  19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we just let our children choose which classroom they'd like to be in, then left them get on with it. my room's popular as it has all the YR stuff in it, and KS2 love it! some go outside as well.

20. I try and have golden time in my current school but not all teachers do it so it is not as successful as it was in my last school.
    It was organised really well. In a similar way to the previous comment, all adults/teacher's led an activity and children signed up for a 4 week time span. From nail varnish to scooters, crochet to quilling. It was 45 mins per week. It worked really well
    FWIW I really like the theme idea!