1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do for your more able/gifted and talented children in your class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daisydimple, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I have about 8 more able kids and 3 g&t kids in my class (Numeracy and Literacy) and although I set them suitable challenges I feel that they should be being taught the next year's Numeracy objectives. This is proving nigh on impossible with no TA in the class and I know that at the parents evening next week there will be comments and questions from the parents. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. I have about 8 more able kids and 3 g&t kids in my class (Numeracy and Literacy) and although I set them suitable challenges I feel that they should be being taught the next year's Numeracy objectives. This is proving nigh on impossible with no TA in the class and I know that at the parents evening next week there will be comments and questions from the parents. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why should they be taught the following year's objectives? Why not get them to explore and be creative with the ones they have? You can set them challenges that last a few days or a week if it helps. Look on the net for investigations and challenges in both literacy and numeracy.

http://www.risingstars-uk.com/search/?search=advanced&keystage=13&category=68&m=1

Are fabulous and can be used in groups or for individuals. I've used them mainly when I can't think of anything else for the children to do, which means one book lasts all year.

Not having a TA won't wash I'm afraid. I don't have one and have children ranging in ability from below level 1 to level 5a literacy and need to cater for all at least most of the time. When I plan, I look at the whole week and make sure I work with each group at least once. (I have 4 groups.) The rest of the time I make sure that independent work is something they really can do independently. The least able sometimes play phonics dominoes type games, the most able sometimes do the the challenges given above. Mostly it is more or less the same task differentiated.

We set for maths, but I still have children from 3a up to 5a and again no TA. When I know the most able can already do what the rest need to recap/learn, I sit with them and move them on to trickier concepts. the rest of the time they investigate and explore within what they know. And yes sometimes move themselves on to higher level maths.

I think you are possibly worrying needlessly about parents. If they were truly concerned they would have popped in to see you before now. Just talk about how well the children are doing and all the excellent things you already do for them. Don't mention all the bits you would do if only you could. IF they ask what else then use all the suggestions you will certainly get from here. They will never check you have done them.

If they ask what to do at home, talk about playing monopoly and scrabble and the like. Or getting children to keep a diary. Don't suggest they buy books to help study the above year group's work as one colleague I used to work with once did!

Honestly, you will be ok.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooops sorry a bit long there.

5. Thank you for your advice. The trouble is, one of the parents is also a teacher of 20 years experience and is currently teaching her child the next year's objectives! So of course when I ask the child how he finds the work in class he replies "It's easy and Mummy says I'm not learning anything if I find the work too easy!" Not sure where I can go though

6. I have L5 children already in Maths, I dont do anything for them...there is no point but just widen their maths experiences, not statistically but in real life

7. Our County Advisor specifically tells us not to teach the next year's objectives to such children. Instead they advocate breadth of using and applying and spending great deals of time on investigations and exploration around what the other children are learning.

8. Could you please give me some pointers and ideas?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The numeracy strategy published 'Challenges for more able children' or something like that. They are great and your school will have them somewhere.

The link I gave above isn't to free stuff but they have saved me thousands in stress related bills.

Look on teachingideas and on primaryteaching as well for all sorts of ideas.

And yes do sometimes sit with them and move them on...they are entitled to be taught at their level and to make progress. I have children working at a good level 5 and sometimes they do level 6 work, just don't know it. Do not tell the children 'this is year 7 work' or whatever though. If no-one ever taught the next level up we would get no children to level 5 in year 6, level 5 is the expected level for year 9 children.

10. I agree the 'Challenges' book is very good, you may be even able to download this from the internet.
    What I usually find with GT and HA maths children is that they are really good with number calcuation and fact work but find problem solving solving and shape and space work more difficult, at a high level. Using the Pitch and Exp questions and expanding them out can be useful resources. Also the websites NRich and BEAM (free resources) are very good.
    What age are your children? As long as they can read the questions they shoudl be find to work without adult support. When I give my HA/GT student an NRich problem to work on without support, I write the 'hint' on a big piece of paper and blu-tac it facing the wall, near where they are sitting. This way when they feel they have really tried to work thorugh the problem but need a hint they can turn it over wihout interupting my guided group work, or the hint could be in an envelope that they can look in.