1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do for target setting in your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SouthGlosHead, Apr 27, 2012.

1. We use an idea from Big Write (the puritanical version) - 'Super-Short-Term-Targets'! Basically, every Friday the teacher analyses the Big Write (an extended piece of writing) and identifies one small thing which is preventing the child moving forward. A target is then set WHICH CAN BE MET IN 5 DAYS e.g. 'Use 'which' 3 times to create complex sentences'. It's written on a stick and stuck on a card and is on the table in front of the child every I've they write. It's had far more impact than the termly targets we used before.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We look at objectives for year group, select three, stick them on a card and put them at the frontof the books. The kids completely ignore them.

But they have been trained to say "Yes, I know what my targets are" and parrot what the cards say. OFSTED boxes ticked.

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We change things according to the latest fad about twice a year. Drives us teachers nuts, leaves pupils bemused.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Most of our school do this.

Some of the school don't have targets at all ever.

Some have fancy ones that are referred to constantly and all children know what to do and next steps and all that.

Can you tell which is which? Nopes!

5. We have a folder for every group with target tick sheets we have devised for each sub level for reading, writing and maths - so each child has a ticksheet for their next sub level. These are for use by teaching staff as an assessment tool and things are highlighted off as they are achieved.
    Targets are picked from those statements (They are a bit like APP but sub levelled and in child-speak) and each child has a personalised target on a wall display - Mine each have a laminated speech bubble with their picture and "My readng target is..My writing target is..My maths target is.."
    It looks like a swishy, well-organised system on the surface but is a nightmare to manage and rarely used by the children (Year 2). The idea is the folders accompany us during guided group work and we use as a working document, but in reality we find ourselves doing assessments at the end of term to catch up and get some highlighting done!

6. Hello Smiley,
    We base our targets on APPs which we have on colourful bookmarks for all core subjects. We just highlight the statement they are aiming for, then tick it off when met...quite easy, nice to show parents too.
    CC

7. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Thanks for your replies.
    The bit where you say chn rarely know their targets is the bit i want to try to develop. I don't want it to be a paper exercise for staff. Would like targets to be relevant for children.
    At the moment staff are given, must should could targets, which are changed half termly. They are displayed in class but I don't feel children really know what their targets are and how to improve their writing.

8. Yes, we used to have must could should...but they are highly impersonal and too generic to really help someone. Have a look here for the bookmarks I mentioned.