1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do for lunch at school?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bonnie23, May 23, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Looking for inspiration for my lunch box!
    I'm so sick of sandwiches every day. I bought some pre-made salads in because I'm always the person rushing out the door or can't be bothered to prep the night before after a long day but they go off so quickly!
    I tried the school dinners but they seem really salty to me.

What's in your box? Do you take something and heat it at work? Also do you take any kind of snacks or interesting things to keep you going? :D

bizent likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In the summer I make lots of pasta salads for a meal and usually there was some left for lunch the next day.

Tuna with spring onions, cucumber tossed in a salad makes an easy lunch. I usually take a roll to spread it on.

Cheese and crackers, often with a chopped up apple.

Wintertime I make soups.

bizent and SLouise91 like this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm lucky.
    I work in an indie and all meals are free.

bizent, SLouise91 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I often skip lunch but when I bring it, it's usually a salad that's in a lunchbox and ideally something robust enough to dress in advance - root veg, pulses, tomatoes etc. are good. Often bulked with lean protein like leftover roast chicken, tinned fish or boiled eggs. I usually manage about 5 or 10 minutes for my lunch so it needs to be quick

bizent, Lara mfl 05 and SLouise91 like this.
  5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

No school lunches here :( which means I have to be organised for me and the three small people! I despise making packed lunches but there is no option really. No school lunches does also mean no children on the premises between 12 and 1.30 (apart from staff children if they opt to stay) which is actually very civilised! Occasionally we even manage to lunch out with my husband too :D

For packed lunches I often make a batch of soup at the weekend and freeze in portions - then I just grab out of the freezer what I need and warm it at school, this also works if we are having pasta on an evening cook extra for the following day either as a salad or warmed again at school. Otherwise packet of crackers with some sliced cheese in a box, some salady bits in another box, pickles in another box and do a plate of ploughmans. Box up a load of salad with different dressings or protein to add on different days - tune, cheese, chicken, ham etc. Occasionally a tin of beans and some bread to toast at school.

I rarely have a sandwich as I find them dull :oops:

bizent, Lara mfl 05 and SLouise91 like this.
  6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Very surprised that anyone can find sandwiches dull or uninspiring! There are lots of different types of bread out there, and lots of fillings - so many potential combinations.

7. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I'm really boring. I make a whole loaf of brown bread sandwiches and whole loaf of white sandwiches. Then freeze them in packs. Each day those of us who need/want to take out a pack. I just make more when they run out. Occasionally I make salad or pasta and take in. Sometimes I have a dinner. Never miss lunch. Get REALLY GRUMPY if I don't eat mid day. Would be delighted if I could sit down to eat but that's just a bonkers idea!!!

8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I love sandwiches. That's the one thing I miss about my old school.
    We eat with the kids at lunchtime so it's main meal (all made on site) or jacket spud. I tend to have the spud as I'm a bit fussy when it comes to things like chilli, lasagne and spag bol. If it's roast beef or turkey, cheese and potato pie or chips Friday then I have that but otherwise it's jacket tatter!

senlady and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Ahhhh signed off with my sandwich comment too abruptly! I do LOVE a sarnie but for me it need to be made there and then and then eaten not sat in a box a while :(

There is NO fresh bread here except if we make it ourselves (which we do at the weekend but time constraints don't allow it in the week!) There is frozen sliced loaves (that have been DEEP frozen for the journey or there is part baked that the supermarket warms (baguettes) or there is frozen partbaked (deep frozen from Waitrose). It is ALL white! Not good for sarnies to be honest. Fresh, home baked on a saturday and sunday fresh sliced with all the innards put on and eaten toute suite :)rolleyes:) and I LOVE a sarnie!

Keep trying to convince people to open a bakery here:p they'd make a mint - there was one and all the equipment is still visible inside but it close 15mths ago when the peeps moved on to new jobs!

calamansi likes this.
  10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here. It is a lovely perk.

In my previous school I used to leave a pot of pate in the fridge at work and take in ryvita, cherry tomatoes and some fruit each day.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Go on, senlady. A career change seems in order!

senlady likes this.
  12. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

If only my work permit allowed! I think I could happily go to baker - especially after the cr@ppy maths lesson I just failed to deliver!!!! :oops:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. thewhiteparking

thewhiteparking New commenter

For me, pretty much anything in winter cuz its cold and it won't go bad. In summer tho,try anything without meat in it. This way, u can pretty much prep all the food before bed. It's simple and quick!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.