1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do during the daytimes?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ttillier, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hi everyone

I became a private tutor in July after i was made redundant following my school deciding to use the money from 1 to 1 elsewhere. I decided to become a full free lance private tutor of maths. I got a few clients during the summer and currently have 14 on my books.

But now it is term time again and i find myself at a loss during the day time from 9am-3pm - what do other people do during the daytime? From 3pm its all good as i have 2-3 clients an evening

Any experiences would be most welcome :)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Work in a school doing.... tutoring!!
    Occasionally get home educated children or post 18 people.

3. barnaclebrain

barnaclebrain New commenter

I spend hours online looking for a full time job... If I had loads of clients like you, I'd start painting (in an ideal world I'd like to be an artist).

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Is that the One-to-One programme? Or is it an EBD etc school?

5. sleep.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

One to one programme - keeps me busy!!
    I have about 13 - 14 hrs of private tutoring. Generally 4 - 8 - but don't work Thursday nights because of family and I work Sat am.
    But I would love a full time job. Have heavy financial commitments!!1

7. *h*

*h* New commenter

I work as a distance learning tutor. Like any job it has its good and bad features, but I enjoy it; it's flexible and I can work from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. I do miss the face-to-face work at times. Working with adults is very different to being in a classroom with children, but with other bits I do, I get a good balance of different roles and environments.

8. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I have some students who I see daytime (post-16) but otherwise mundane jobs plus the odd bit of mystery shopping.

9. CathySupply

CathySupply New commenter

I was going to say 'snap' but I think my mystery shopping is probably a different kind from yours (especially now it's coming up to Christmas) ! [​IMG]

10. Where do you get your mystery shopping assignments from? If you don't mind sharing of course : )

11. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

There are tons of companies doing it, some pay better than others. Visit the MSE forum for mystery shopping and there is a list on the first page. And lots of advice too.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3532593