1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you believe is the most effective way to mark a set of Mathematics exam papers?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ColinTindal, May 3, 2012.

1. What do you believe is the most effective way to mark a set of Mathematics exam papers?

All of one Paper at a time?
    All the group's Question 1s, then all the Question 2s, and so on?
    All the Page 1s, then all the Page 2s, ... ?
    A double page spread at a time?
    I tend to do one or two questions at a time for the whole group. I can keep the answers and where they come on the page in my head without having to refer often to the mark scheme, and remember what gets 3 marks out of 4 or 2 marks and so on. I feel I follow the mark scheme more consistently this way.
    We Mathematicians love efficiency, what is the most efficient method?
    Colin

2. What do you believe is the most effective way to mark a set of Mathematics exam papers?

All of one Paper at a time?
    All the group's Question 1s, then all the Question 2s, and so on?
    All the Page 1s, then all the Page 2s, ... ?
    A double page spread at a time?
    I tend to do one or two questions at a time for the whole group. I can keep the answers and where they come on the page in my head without having to refer often to the mark scheme, and remember what gets 3 marks out of 4 or 2 marks and so on. I feel I follow the mark scheme more consistently this way.
    We Mathematicians love efficiency, what is the most efficient method?
    Colin

3. Peer assessment?[​IMG]

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I've always done double-page spread.

5. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Double page spread for me too, with an occassional glance back to the front to see who has either made a silly blunder or completed a hard question well.

6. Marking A level scripts some years ago my team leader advised that I shouldn#'t be marking all of question 1; then question 2 etc. as you can get 'creep' in your marking as you start to see what you are expecting to see.
    Not an issue on 1 mark questions but more of an issue on longer, multistep questions.
    Having said that if i am marking an internal test of 30 scripts I do it that way - perhaps the creep only arises when you are marking a centre of 100 candidates for example?

7. I roll a 6-sided dice:

1 = A; 2 = B etc. Sometimes I even make up the amrks.
    cyolba, not yet rumbled :)

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I mark the whole paper at once. After a few times through I have pretty much learnt the mark scheme.
    I like to see what the scores are so find it frustrating to do just a double page spread at a time.

9. I mark it all at once. It takes a long time initially, but after ten or so I've learnt most of the answers and method marks so I can start speeding up.

I don't do any adding up until I've finished all the papers.

If I've got time I'll go back and try and write down what I've noticed about common mistakes which the rest of the department might be interested. If I've got loads of time, then I'll try and do an analysis on excel to try and spot themes...what questions are everyone getting correct. What questions are pupils struggling on.

10. That's an interesting idea.

11. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

If, as the question states, we are seeking effectiveness, then the single question/double page routine is probably best. However, I always look to be efficient rather than effective, and find that I can rattle through a whole set in just over an hour, like Pippi, by marking whole papers at once. It may not be completely accurate, but students rarely find mistakes, and I have too many other things to do with my time than devote multiple hours to one set of papers...

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

a question/doubel page at a time, or for sats type papers a double page of the mark scheme at a time. seems fairer to me, i never look at the names until i go through the papers adding up at the end.

13. Efficiency is definitely what this discussion topic is asking!

14. It seems to me that marking a question or page at a time is quicker in that you remember the mark scheme, but marking a full paper at a time involves less turning from one person's paper to the next. So which wins the efficiency test and why? Colin

15. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Re the external examining. There's another reason why it's not a good idea to mark by question when marking for a fee. You've marked 200 Q1.and 2s and then fall ill (or there's some other emergency) and have to stop. This is not only awkward for the body to pick up and complete your work - it's also awkward for them to pay you if you haven't completed any scripts!
    Suppose the "creep" is more important, though!

16. I was thinking more about marking internal mock papers where you've shifting piles of paper when you mark all the Q1s. External marking I do is online these days, no paper shifting at all!

17. afterdark

afterdark New commenter

Marking one page /one /question or one double page at a time is quicker. I have tested this myself against marking the whole paper. I was advised to do this by every experienced teacher when I started. I didn't simply take their word for it; I split each of my student papers into 2 equal halves and marked both ways. for one paper First marking the whole then marking section by section. The second paper I marked section by section first then the other half I did the whole paper. Section by section is definitely quicker.
    What people forget is the cross referencing with the marking scheme. What is lost in swapping between papers is gained by not having to go back and reread the mark scheme.
    More importantly, IMHO, is the issue of consistency. Marking the whole paper makes inconsistency much more likely. When you have read the parameters for awarding various different types of marks for just one or two questions then it is far less likely that you will wrongly 'drag over' from one question to another.
    Marking a whole paper makes marking of similar awards with different criteria more problematic. 'Was Q14 www or was it cso and 17 is www?' type of thing.
    I see no reason to mark in any way but that which suits you best. I have never yet met anyone who can honestly mark faster by doing a whole SAT paper as opposed to marking one/two questions/pages at a time.
    Marking a whole paper by whole paper is most definitely far more prone to errors of inconsistency. IMHO.

18. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and marking a question at a time, if i realise i have made a mistake on interpreting/marking the first paper or two, it is much easier to go back and put it right when i am marking a question or two at a go.

19. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

When marking papers for a class I teach I find I learn more about how each student is doing if I mark whole papers.

20. The most efficient ? Well if other people have timed it then fine. It 'feels' faster to me to do a whole paper, but I know that my feel isn't a scientific standard.
    the most efficient? Get someone else to mark them!