1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you all think?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JungleJane, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Actually I was attempting to be sarcastic (and failing obviously) [​IMG]
    Regards,
    The Above

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

MM, Costermongering lost a great luminary when you decided to go in for teaching. If you did not exist it would definitely be necessary to invent you. I have decided to make you compulsory reading for my Mrs M who has laboured for years under the unjust misapprehension that I occupy a political position somewhere to the right of herself (and she's a long way to the right of Mrs Thatcher, General Pinochet and Generalissimo Franco). Jesus save. Mary help. St Victor Meldrew, pray for us.

4. And its 60s', MM.
    Oh, I wish we could type in red.
    [​IMG]

5. Are you sure there's meant to be a comma there FP?

6. Hot potato here, fuelled by well intentioned dudes....However I say go for it! Dont allow yourself to be put off by the negative.... heres my reasoning - yeap there are mortgages, health insurance etc, but these relate to new/mid career teaching professionals (Not knocking you all - i know what that is like, done my 20 years... - doff my cap to your situ - keep ploughing folks...)...previous point taken that anyone saying yes to your proposition is suspect... BUT there is a wee percentage left over of very experienced and able teachers/educators/facilitators/visionaries/project managers out there for whom mortgage etc is no longer an issue, kids at uni...we havent sold out at the end of our day, love kids, love teaching, value the added value, enjoy sleeping in mud huts wi creepie crawlies, have a genuine desire to spend 5-10 of our autumnal years left-field sowing seeds... (the rest of the world scoffs - screaming wheres my pay/insurance..the probable response to my posting...)
    I know, Im one such, spent the last 20+ years, playing the man-game, came into teaching to do exactly what you aspire to do...no regrets!

7. Think so. Using the apostrophe for the possessive, the sentence would read imperialism belonging to the sixties - not the sixty. If it is written in number form, I figure that means belonging to the 60s (60s') and not the 60 (60's).

8. Mainwaring

I've done it of course, but do you mean there <u>are</u> people who actually
    ?
    Health care stops being an issue when you pass the mid-career stage? Funnily enough, I've found the opposite. It must be all this shinning up olive trees and working with brush-cutters and chainsaws. Most of us old codgers who work in the campo are quite high maintenance orthopaedically speaking.
    Your children no longer needed the Bank of Mum and Dad when they reach university? Mine are ten years beyond that stage and while one of them, to put it elegantly, earns sh1tloads of money, the other is light years away from being able to buy the flat he, his missus and their sixth-month-old expensively rent.
    I can see how penury-in-the-jungle-in-support-of-my-noble-vocation might appeal to some, though I'm rather suspicious of anyone who claims to 'love kids' en masse. In 38 years at the chalk face I felt deep affection for a few, rather liked rather more, and gave the benefit of the doubt to the rest. Apart, that is from the small minority of 'creepie crawlies' who ought to have been fumigated at birth.
    And I cheerfully admit to having 'sold out' to the priority of making a decent living for my family. As you say,

9. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Before you go any further, have you looked into the Belize Ministry of Education and Youth?
    http://www.moe.gov.bz (I don't think my links are clickable - TES doesn't like my SRWare Iron browser for some reason ;) )
    Apologies if you have already looked in to all this, but on the site I found the Education Rules, forms for applying to open a school, teachers' licences and even curriculum downloads.
    Assuming all is hunky dory in the legal respects, then perhaps in order to offer continuity to students, local people could be employed as classroom assistants to stay with the classes throughout the academic year, then maybe some volunteer teachers of sadsac's ilk could be taken on to give some direction and possibly train suitable locals to deliver teaching, be a familiar face for a year or so, and guide volunteers.
    I think you should defocus on 'young' teachers as they will have careers and so on to worry about, and as we can see from these forums, while many UK companies value time out abroad doing voluntary work, UK schools don't seem to.
    Then volunteers could be recruited for, let's say half a term at a time, to deliver specific aspects of the curriculum so everyone knows WHAT they are supposed to be doing before they arrive and while they are there. Some of the criticism of gap year backpack English teachers is the disruption they cause because they don't either know or don't feel they need to abide by an ongoing curriculum so it's all a bit random and can cause more problems than it solves - google "gap year volunteers do more harm than good".
    Perhaps you could partner in some way with schools in the UK who might be willing to release teachers for half a term voluntary work - I have met doctors and nurses here from Europe who are released by their employing hospitals to work for 4-6 weeks in a community for people with leprosy outside of Cairo - maybe something similar could be arranged? Not sure if the state sector would be up for it, but the independent might be?
    Some links that might be useful / interesting:
    Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies: working with untrained teachers and volunteers
    http://www.ineesite.org//index.php/resources/resource_db_working_with_untrained_teachers_and_temporary_volunteers/
    Inspirational video "Turning caterpillars into butterflies"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75DjsB2EK4Y
    You can read about it here:
    http://gulfnews.com/life-style/people/maria-conceicao-s-dhaka-project-1.25683

10. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Sorry for the lack of white space in my post, I forgot to put in double line breaks.

11. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Belize government Ministry of Education link won't post.

Here it is with DOT you have to put . for DOT and type the m o and e without spaces.: www DOT M space O space E DOT gov DOT bz

12. Bless you..... 'a mi pesar'.
    Why change your discourse now? Your mentioning of pseudo saintly beings was far more entertaining.

13. Mainwaring

You were under the impression that I loved children en masse? No, that was WC Fields (boiled or fried).

14. Hi
    I've fixed the issue with the link and formatted your post.
    Best wishes,
    Bev

15. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

16. Thank you for all help and links...internet here is being , well...Belizean weathery!!..at the moment so, in short - than you!!!