1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you all think about the teachfirst coronavirus mentor scheme?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

At first glance, it looks good.

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Whether it comes to anything remains to be seen.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If people want to be a teacher, wouldn't it be better to do a PGCE? They'd get paid more (unless things have changed a lot since I last had student teachers) and aren't some schools pro PGCE? Unless a lot's changed, which of course it might well have! £19000 doesn't seem a lot for a FT job, which won't leave them qualified as a teacher.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

The schools will be heavily subsided to take on these graduates as academic mentors meaning they ONLY pay 25 percent of £19k or £4,500 to be exact. Meaning a lot of teachers, CVs, TAs and agencies' incomes could be severely jeopardised. Just how many they plan to take on, we do not know.

Some of these academic mentors might want to stay on after the year's contract and train to be teachers in the schools so that when they get to do their NQT year, they will have been an employee with the school for over 2 years.

I feel it is an exercise to get 'more graduates' into employment. I have read the hype from TeachFirst, the usual nonsense directed at graduates and career changers of, 'Inner City schools desperately need your skills.' How insulting to qualified teachers!

A friend of mine who was a DH said years ago when they had a similar scheme, this graduate came in and was so full of herself. The graduate said to the DH, 'I don't understand why you are so unappreciative. I'm here because I was told your school needed me as you were struggling.':eek:

Oh Dear, she got a severe dressing down!

Perhaps it's some social experiment to tell young graduates they are needed to 'save' schools, wire up some secret cameras, get a supply of popcorn in, and watch what happens next.o_O

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Pile ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap...

£19,000 pro rate, so £14,000 actual salary, maybe...

Who needs properly qualified, experienced teachers....?

7. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I have seen this idea before and it is a way to get people teaching without any teaching qualifications to teach on the cheap, instead of employing qualified teachers. They may start of supporting students,but soon get more duties and asked to cover lessons, etc.... I may be a bit cynical, but that is due to experience.

8. catbefriender

No, they'll get the full £19k but the school only pays £4,500 for them. It's important for teachers, looking for paid work in schools to know that the costs of employing a teacher, even on the bottom of mainscale far outweighs getting one from CheapFirst, sorry TeachFirst.

9. Jolly_Roger15

What a 'profession' teaching has become, if it could still call itself such. Someone who goes to the effort and expense of doing a PGCE, and gaining QTS has already priced themselves out of a job!

10. catbefriender

You're actually right, after being pro rata it will be actually £12.5k as the programme starts in October, when supply truly kicks off therefore it's potentially a 32 week academic year, and I bet they get rid of the tutors after the exams in May/June as well to save even more money.

It works out at around £365 for a full time week, and £73 for a full time day.

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

If this is your only source of income, you should not have a problem with income tax!