1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Do Year 2 Read?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CliveWallis, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Thank you very much Marlin, much appreciated.
    Have a good weekend!
    Clive

2. No, I don't think most Y2s would read Charlie and The Chocolate Factory independently; I would imagine they've either read it with their parents, listened to it at school or seen the films. My daughter is a good Y2 reader and it's too long for her to read independently. We read it together where I read a chapter to her and then she read some to me. She really enjoys the Rainbow Fairy series by Daisy Meadows but they're very girly!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. I agree that most wouldn't be reading Roald Dahl independently. Mine class love them, but most are shared with, or read by me or parents. To be quite honest the books my children love to read independently at home most are Beastquest and the Rainbow Fairy series. Both are written by teams to a formula, but they are easy chapter books and they seem to love them!
    They also like Horrid Henry and things like that. Lots of them really love picture books like Winnie the Witch, the Night Pirates and things like that. I'd say about a third to half of mine are independently reading simple, short chapter books at home now, the rest can't yet.

5. I forgot to say that I did a little survey with my class and their favourite author is Quentin Blake, so he is always a good one to look at.

6. They like the 'Mr Gum' books and also 'Beast Quest' in my class.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Beast Quest is popular with my Y2 boys, so are the Dragon Blood Pirate series and Horrible Histories.

8. My year 2 class love anything by Julia Donaldson or Steven Bartram. They love reading Horrid Henry books and all of the Aliens love underpants series.
    Get yourself in to Waterstones and start looking at all of the recommended picture books.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Anythingabout Pants and Bottoms are popular [​IMG]

10. Or if it has the word 'stupid' or 'fat in it somewhere! My class are always in absolutely hysterics if I read a story where it uses the word stupid.

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What about the Fleabag Monkeyface series? Toy catalogues are always popular too.

12. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Horrid Henry books are very popular with my Year 2 class as are Julia Donaldson, Jill Murphy, Winnie the Witch, Mr Men and the Happy Families series.

My daughter is in Y2 and she's been reading 'My naughty little sister' and Plop the barn owl.

13. My daughter is also finishing Y2. She is a 2a/3c reader, but would not cope with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet (although I have read most Roald Dahl's to her). She has read The Twits independently and likes Dick King Smith's 'Hodgeheg' (although this is challenging). She whizzes through Beast Quest, My Naughty Little Sister, Horrid Henry, Mr Gum, Finn Family Moomintroll, Flat Stanley, Magic Faraway Tree, Killer Cat et al.

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Mr Gum? Beast Quest? Dahl? in Year 2???? Really? Do you mean that you are reading these TO the kidlets, or that they are reading them alone?

15. Well, as I said, my daughter is ending Y2 and is a confident 2a/3c reader. She reads those books in bed at night. For a child reading at a 2b level, I would think that things like Beast Quest (which I find full of repetitive, pedestrian language) and the Dahls for younger children would be very manageable.

16. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Do you live in Warrington?

17. LOL - not that far - why??

18. Thanks to you all!
    As ever, I'm overwhelmed by the responses on here!
    Clive

19. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Add Animal Ark, Little Animal Ark, Puppy Patrol, and some books by Dick King-Smith

20. My class of year 2s are far off being able to read chapter books!
    They love anything silly- Pants, More Pants, Aliens Love Underpants, Barry the Fish with Fingers, Dirty Bertie etc and anything by Eric Carle, Julia Donaldson, Jill Murphy, Shirley Hughes and the Ahlbergs.
    These are all fab end of day stories and they are now at the stage where they like to read them aloud to the class by themselves. I've also used lots of them as focus books in Literacy.