1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do woodlice eat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by webfoot, Aug 23, 2007.

1. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I often feel like I'm one of those when I'm looking at the Personal forum ;)

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You'll discover that woodlice don't urinate and I don't know that they "poo". Don't kill them. They won't hurt you. Pick them up in your dustpan and put them in the garden where they can live their little lives in peace. I thought you teachers taught your children about minibeasts? What are you teaching them about the harmless little woodlice?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What goes in, must, at some point, come out ...

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

"Ammonia excretion
    Woodlice do not produce urine. Instead of excreting urine, woodlice excrete their nitrogenous waste in the form of ammonia gas. Most animals find ammonia to be too toxic for excretion and so any ammonia formed is normally converted to urea or uric acid for excretion.

Woodlice seem to have very high resistance to ammonia and are able to excrete it as a gas directly through the surface of their exoskeleton. This means that they do not need to use energy to convert the ammonia to area or uric acid before excretion." - - - http://www.porcellio.scaber.org/woodlice/wliceod.htm There are so many interesting facts about these wonderful little creatures. If you have to tell your pupils facts about woodlice, it is perhaps an idea to learn about them yourselves, ha ha