1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do woodlice eat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by webfoot, Aug 23, 2007.

1. put it on youtube... LICEWARS!

2. 'Ultimate Woodlouse'

3. my son ate woodlice when he he was little.

4. The guy who did that River cottage tv programme ate them once, he fried them

5. That would solve my current budget and cash crisis too! Fried Woodlouse. Maybe, rather than starve them, I should fatten them up...

needabreak likes this.
  6. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Yip. You've got somewhere wet and probably with rotting wood. in the flat.
    Could be just an area of especially high condensation.
    Look under the sink.
    Superglue a thread to one of them and see where it goes.

needabreak and sbkrobson like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm afraid in the 10 year interim period the woodlice have eaten the whole flat and OP is now living under a motorway bridge near Watford.
    They wont see your post.
    But rest assured at least we know the lice wont eat their new home.

drvs and needabreak like this.
  8. inky

inky Lead commenter

We're battling carpet beetles and we don't even have carpets!

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

They are a terrestrial relative of prawns and shrimp.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I have observed woodlice with great interest after the investigation in science at school about habitat preferences ( dark&damp).
    I have a theory: I believe woodlice produce poo that has enzymes in it that converts the cellulose in organic matter (wood) into a more edible food. A bit like ants that have fungus farms, woodlice go back to their toilet and harvest the produce. This of course means that woodlice are not harmless browsers of detritus but actively cause damage to wooden structures.
    Just a theory.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

A zombie thread about woodlice and thread
    Excellent....:rolleyes:

racroesus likes this.
  13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

10 years is indeed a long time to wait to resurrect a post. That said diatomaceous
    earth appeared to do the trick when spread around the strawberry patch although not in this weather.

Edit (just don't inhale it).

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

diatomaceous earth

:p

needabreak likes this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's the stuff lol

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

They're supposed to be very good at training dogs to behave properly.

Oh no, hang on, that's Woodhouse. Sorry, my mistake.

needabreak likes this.
  17. xmal

xmal Established commenter

I'd check your bathroom and kitchen for leaks.

18. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

When I have written probably over 60 minibeast poems for children and teachers, I had to do a great deal of research into the little creatures. The woodlice is one of the nicest of our little minibeasts. They only eat rotting things, ie vegetation etc. That answers your question. They are wonderful little creatures and are related to crabs and lobsters. They are crustaceans and there are over 3,000 different types of these little creatures, many of which are found in the British Isles. To answer the next part of your question: The little woodlice you have found definitely do not want to be in your house. They have arrived there by mistake. They do not want to eat anything in your home and would much prefer it if you took them outside - somewhere safe - and left them near a garden and where there are stones. One of the nicest things I discovered is that mother woodlouse carries her eggs in a little bag underneath her, and, like a kangaroo, she carries her little ones in her pouch for some time before they come out. I tell the children, in my poem about Wanda Woodlouse, that if they find her in their home, don't kill her. She is a lovely little creature and not out to hurt them, but she would so appreciate it if they put her in the garden near a stone. Here endeth the lesson.

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Perhaps she could get a spider to eat the woodlouse.

I know an old lady who swallowed a ...

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Ha! I hadn't noticed that. Who resurrects these ancient threads and why?

Edit: Well, the answer to the first question is @T34 but I don't know why; he/she appears to be offering genuine advice but it's a bit late.