1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do woodlice eat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by webfoot, Aug 23, 2007.

1. No, I haven't got new pets.

I live in a first floor flat and I keep noticing the little *******; maybe one or two a day, bimbling across the carpet.

I do hoover once a week and I don't leave lumps of cake strewn around on the floor. So what are they living on? Why do I have them? Where do they come from?

And how do I make them GO?

2. No, I haven't got new pets.

I live in a first floor flat and I keep noticing the little *******; maybe one or two a day, bimbling across the carpet.

I do hoover once a week and I don't leave lumps of cake strewn around on the floor. So what are they living on? Why do I have them? Where do they come from?

And how do I make them GO?

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

They like it damp. If it's dry then they dry out and die. When we wash our laminate floor with water we get loads of them.

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

They eat my strawberries in the garden the little sods. They also eat damp vegetation including wood. I get them trundling around my house but have no idea where they are going as they never answer my polite enquiries.

ViolaClef likes this.
  5. There is a clue in the name....

Woodlice eat mostly decaying plant matter, but they can survive on paper if need be.

6. Lol the clue is in the name.
    They eat rotting wood.
    I seem to remember they tend to come indoors when it's raining out.
    They won't do you any harm.
    Used to be my fave creature when I was a kid.

7. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I lived in a dark, damp cottage and we had them all over the place. I think you have to either try to dry the place out or learn to live with them. They may be some traps or something you can find?

8. They eat decaying plant material and if it is wet outside they come inside, just like spiders.

Are you sure they are woodlice and not carpet beetles?

9. We used to get them in a flat that had a weird damp thing where the carpets would get slightly damp. We found that using shake and vac helped if you put it on and left it for a bit to soak the damp up a bit, odd solution but it worked for us.

10. I like 'bimbling' very apt.

11. as kids me and my brother discovered they walk along quite happily underwater which used to amuse us no end putting them in the paddling pool :S

12. when we lived in Devon, the locals used to call them chooky pigs

13. In dutch they are called ****-a-beds, not spelt like that but thats the pronounciation. Tis one of the very few dutch words i know :S

14. My aunty lives in Devon and calls them chickypigs too or chickiwigs. I still hate them but my daughter loves them, picks them up and carries them round. They like the damp, don't they?

15. Damp? I'd understand if I was on the ground floor flat! I must have some damp area somewhere (snigger snigger).

I'm now worried I'm going to pick up a pile of important papers and find woodlice teethmarks all round it. ******.

Does anything eat woodlice? Perhaps I can start a food chain.

16. Snails, slugs, frogs, hedgehogs, owls and foxes, etc.

They are also known to eat each other when hungry.

17. Ooo, I wouldn't mind having hedgehogs pottering about, snaffling up the woodlice!

As for them eating each other... maybe if they get hungry I can start staging gladiatorial-style cage fights as the enraged and starving woodlice clash, in a desperate bid for survival... oh yes, that's my bank holiday weekend's entertainment sorted! ;-)

18. Send us piccies then ;-)

19. I'll be setting up a webcam. I take credit card or paypal!