1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do/will you miss about the job?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by anon1269, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I'm retiring in the summer and although I think I'm well prepared I know it will leave a big gap in my life. I know I'll miss my colleagues, the students and, above all, my work in the classroom but will be more than relieved never to see a sharp suited manager telling me about targets etc.
    What will you miss and if you have retired already what do you miss?

2. I'm retiring in the summer and although I think I'm well prepared I know it will leave a big gap in my life. I know I'll miss my colleagues, the students and, above all, my work in the classroom but will be more than relieved never to see a sharp suited manager telling me about targets etc.
    What will you miss and if you have retired already what do you miss?

3. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

A good question, it's a pity this is such a quiet forum and it's disappointing there have been no responses so far.

The thing I enjoyed most about teaching was the feeling of recognition when I had the undivided attention of one, two, or three students etc., or a class of twenty or thirty, or a school assembly of 150 infants, or 400 primary children. I never enjoyed secondary school assemblies, as I knew half of them at least would not be listening. I organised and ran camping trips, school party visits to factories etc, and was the leader of school trips abroad. The buzz I got from those experiences are what I miss the most.

In a secondary science laboratory, watching the rapt attention of the students as I gave a demonstration, or the sitting on the edge of their seats as I ran a Q and A session with 30 Y7 children, each trying to be the first to raise their hand in answer to my questions, was (is) an unforgettable experience.

In my retirement I still do some private tuition and get these feelings when the student(s) is really paying attention and learning, and with more opportunities to question me and enter into dialogue, which challenges me.

Whilst attending my weekly Bible study class we are each given the chance to lead a study. The Bible is not my subject, but I am trying hard to get that buzz back there. The group is a home church, and can sometimes be up to 30 adults and children. Never say die, I say!

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think I miss the fun. There was always something really funny happening - even when my sweet boss was busy cutting my career off at the knees. It was so lively and interesting. Life in retirement is often quiet, sometimes dull or even boring. That sounds negative but I have lots of good stuff going on too. it has taken some time to work my way into it though and retirement is still a work in progress for me.

5. I agree about the fun aspect but having a laugh seems to frowned upon where I work. I don't know if I am being selective in my memory but it seems a lot less fun than it used to be. Black humour and the ability to not take oneself seriously was part of the job. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case now.

6. I was Primary and I missed most of all the Sports Days and the inter school games as well as the local District Sports. Not only were they enjoyable from the children's viewpoint but also it was good to meet up with like minded people and chat about many things that had little to do with the grunge of school. For the most part, the events took place in good/summer weather, the Sports Days themselves had an almost carnival feel to them, particularly as the (children's) age span was from Y1 up to Y6. Cricket matches were idyllic!
    Classroom life was generally good fun, the rapport between teacher and pupil was satisfying and although, initially I thought that would take the longest to fade, it actually was the easiest to let go.
    As for the suits with their targets, albeit a relatively recent phenomenon, they have rapidly become, in my psyche at least, an object of pity rather than contempt. Their lives can only become more claustrophobic and stressed, as the spotlight moves away from wringing the last drop of performance management out of the classroom practioner, it (the spotlight) will by necessity fall more frequently upon them.
    The proposed amalgamation of headships into one super head, overseeing a group of smaller schools, will inevitably come to pass. What then for the suits and their targets, when they themselves become the targets?

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

As retirement looms, I think I will miss the camaraderie especially in the face of adversity.
    Who mentioned boredom-I fear that too- interesting though I find my various interests atm they can never match the helter skelter of daily work. The sheer vibrancy, energy and dynamism (and that's on a quiet day) of the average school, its pupils and its staff at least lets you know you're alive ( and keeps your brain permanently on hyper alert)

8. I don't miss having reminders written in biro on the back of my hands and often half way up my arms.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I havent fully retired yet........however i dod miss the buzz of schools and the classroom and staff room comments and actions.i really miss the fellowship of kindred minds.....most dedicated to the teaching and nurturing of young minds!

Since easter i havent taught.( doing other work)and what have i missed ,,nothing......my wife says i have suddenly come back to life and we have not laughed so much together for a long while.The last session full time left me with blood pressure......so i wont mind that going....and targets, parents,reports, planning and many more.
    loony pressures....no thanks....still on supply you can hopefully miss a lot of those
    As to the future .im looking for ne ideas as in getting under the feet of the wife.so resetting up my building work in a more handyman form,deciding if i want work for charities and basically getting enough money to do the things we want to do instead of being hide bound to work scheduales1

10. I've been retired for three and a half years and I still miss the fun and repartee of the staffroom. I'm involved with quite a few things and we travel quite a lot so not bored but do find it a bit "quiet" at times. I'm president of and teach courses at our local U3A and it's a delight to teach interested, well-behaved adults and I thoroughly enjoy preparing the courses. I am also on the Board of something here in Oz called COTA - Council on the Aging - which is the umbrella organisation for all the groups associated with aged health and care and it lobbies govt for changes to policy and funding etc. I have to admit that going to meetings with some fairly high flying public servants gives me a bit of a buzz now that I can say what I want to them!