1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do we do if not striking?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by linziwood1, Nov 23, 2011.

1. I am employed as a learning support assistant working with a child with sen. The school is closed for the strike and i am not in a union so have to go in. I know we can not do anything for the striking teachers and we are only to do our job, but as the child i work with is not in what can i do or not do? any help would be good as i dont want to have to clean all day as this is what normally happens at our school.

2. My school is also closed for the day , the last time there was a strike the teaching assistants in our school were responsible for cleaning the school and sorting books.
    This time because it is a national strike and not just teachers , we have still not been told what we are doing. I am also not in the union and have to go into work. The plan upto now for me is to work alongside the teacher im with to complete planning for after christmas

3. as i work 1 - 1 i dont do planning so i dont know what ill be doing without the child lol

4. I am 1:1 too and if I decide to go in (not 100% sure either way) I will spend the time looking at/making resources for the children I am responsible for. I also think our school want those that go in to decorate the Christmas tree!

5. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

If we can't do anything for the striking teacher should we be making resources and doing displays etc or not? I've got plenty I need to do for my after school club but my teacher wants me to do a display! Confused what should I do?

6. If you are not in a union that voted to strike then you are obliged to work. It would be illegal for you to strike if you are not in a union that has voted legally to strike. What your boss decides you should do on this day is up to him. If he makes you stay at home then that is what you do. But make sure you get paid.

7. And bear in mind that teachers' pensions are VERY generous by anyone's standards. They are heavily subsidised by the taxpayer, who cannot afford this anymore. How is your pension looking?

8. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I'm pretty sure its the same calculation for most public sector employees, including yourselves, as it is for teachers, ie 1/80 or 1/60 per year depending on when you joined.
    Your calculation is somewhat misguided as it is based on 20 yrs employment and could not be paid in full until they were 65. No-one is allowed to retire at 45 but may do at 55 on an ARB pension . There would be no lump sum payable to anyone who joined the teaching profession after 2007 unless they forfeited part of their annual pension. By my calculation it would less than £9k, not your Circa £11K. The lump sum, if payable, would be 3 times that, £27K.
    A colleague retired after 33 years recently and received £14.5k - UPS plus responsibility points. Not quite the same as your post suggests.
    Feel free to comment on the pension strike, feel free not to join the pension scheme but please check your facts. This strike is about your pension too.

9. Well I don't know about the "Teachers Pensions Website" but my mother is looking to retire after 40 years with a genuine amount lump sum nearer 10,000 and a yearly pension of £8,00. Which isn't bad compared to what the poor politicians pensions are, no wonder Cameron is disgusted by the strike action.

10. I didn't calculate the amount the website did, I wasn't suggesting retiring at 45 just pointing out that the person concerned would be that age if they worked for 20 yrs. I was just curious and posted what I had found, I was not after an argument or to upset anyone. And yes I am aware that this about all public sector workers

Fell free to look yourselves.. as you say most likely the same for all

http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/resources/pension_calculator.htm

11. I have just been back onto the website and need to apologise, I re-fed the information in and have gotten a quote for far less than yesterday, I can on;y apologise and assume that I made a mistake with either the service or final salary. As I said I wasn't out to upset anyone and am happy to admit my error........................ sorry

Lump sum 22K pension 7.5K

Goes and hides waiting to be shot down

12. Well done for being honest enough to stand up and admit your error. Perhaps you could go and train up our politicians to do the same.
    This strike isn't just about the pensions of teachers but all public sector workers. Lunchtime supervisors, Admin staff and Teaching Assistants who are in a less well paid (generally part time) role within schools will receive nowhere near your downward adjusted pension.

13. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I think the biggest risk to TA pensions is that although the Govt are saying no change to those earning around £15k, this is pro rata. If your job grade is £18K or more you will pay the increased contributions of around 50% as the Govt argue your final pension is based on FTE, so your already reduced salary will go down even more.