1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do universities think about GCSE Resits?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sophia_snail, Jan 11, 2011.

1. We are doing GCSE early entry with year 9 set 1. I have pupils concerned that universities will look disfavourably at them if the end up resitting any modules in year 11, one particular pupil is thinking about veterinary medicine at Edinburgh.
    Does anyone have any experience/ advice? I'm an RQT so I can try to advise my pupils the best I can, although I can't make the decision about when pupils do their exams.
    Thank you.

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I wouldn't force a kid to sit exams early, but if I was sure they could do well this is something I would encourage. I speak from personal experience. At my own insistence, I took my chemistry A-level 2 years early, got a grade A, and beat all the Y13 entrants in my school. What a buss!

I've also taught and tutored some extremely able students who would have jumped at the opportunity to do their exams early. As well as the buss, they would have had an incentive to take their studies further. It's important to remember that one size does not fit all. The right time to sit an exam depends on the individual student, not what's administratively convenient for the school.

As for how universities view things, if you pull it off they view it extremely favorably, as I can vouch from personal experience.

3. I really didn't want this to become a discussion about the rights and wrongs of early entry. I have no choice but to comply this year, and want to find out specifically if resitting exams to try and get a better grade will be penilised by admissions tutors to top universities for popular subjects.

4. DM

DM New commenter

The year can give the game away ...