1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do the optional sats results mean?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Speaking, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

Dear All,
    My son has just been given his results from the optional Sats in Year 3 but there is no level awarded just a mark with a comment saying that the standard average is 100. Please would someone kind be able to tell me what the marks correlate to so I can see the difference for him between last year to this.
    Many thanks in advance as I know how busy everyone now is.
    Thanks,
    Shirley

2. hcnip

hcnip New commenter

sounds like you've been given the standardised score, where the chronological age is matched to the raw score and gives a number where the 'average child' will score 100 when the two are matched...the reasoning being that older children may score higher than younger children but both could receive the same standardised score
    if you give me your child's chronological age and the standardised score i could work backwards (I have the mark book here) - having both means i could identify the approximate raw score and what actual nc level that would relate to

3. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

Thanks so much for replying; his birth date is 26.6.03 and he got 110 in English and 108 in the Maths paper.
    Thanks

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

110 and 108 just means he is a little above average. May or may not have scored a level higher than is expected for his age though.

5. hcnip

hcnip New commenter

haven't got the maths books here but those scores are so similar that the level/sublevel should be the same or one lower than the english

110 with a chron age of 7.11 (i'm assuming the assessments would have been in may/earlier in june than his birthday as 110 doesnt appear for 8.0) gives a raw score of 27/36 equating to a 3A (above national standard - 3B is national standard at end of year 4)
    to me, as y6 teacher and assessment co-ordinator, 3A at the eoy3 would be l5 by the eoy6

hope this helps - as i say, maths should be similar as the ass are so close

6. hcnip

hcnip New commenter

also puts him at the higher end of the 20-40% band (with 40-60% being average), so in the 2nd fifth (1st being highest)

7. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

Thanks for all the responses. I am so proud of my son as he worked really hard and has jumped from last year through quite a lot of levels based on your ideas here. Thanks for being so helpful and so prompt with all the replies.
    Shirley