1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do teachers really want – more money or more time?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 14, 2019 at 3:07 PM.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What do teachers want, what do they really, really want?

If you could have one wish to have more of something in your professional life, what would that be? Would you want more time to plan, assess, measure, think or take a breather for some much-needed respite before the next lesson or would you prefer to take the extra money instead? Would juggling the heavy workload be more worthwhile if you had a bigger salary?

One secondary school teacher believes that many in the profession would prefer extra time over money, but what do you think:

https://www.tes.com/news/teachers-dont-need-more-money-we-need-more-time

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Money... I remember when I didn't have to buy glue sticks, coloured pens etc because the budget covered it. I remember when a decent behaviour support team was easily possible for a school. We've gone from 7 staff to 1. I remember when cover was done by supply staff and not school staff.

And I remember that in real terms, against inflation, my salary has dropped £6000 ...

BetterNow, Laphroig, vannie and 2 others like this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

This to me is the classic one that changes with age.

When younger I would want money, money and money and have the energy to work 100 hour shifts to get it.

For every decade you age, you start thinking 'sod this, it ain't worth it', not least when you meet yourself coming at you (the new 20 odd colleague saying we all should do more work to get more pay).

And while it sounds a tad melodramatic it is true that money goes quickly and cannot be taken with you......time with friends and family is really all we have and all we need and should cherish as it too, will end.

4. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I always wanted more time and latterly turned down money for just that, a bit of extra time.
    Now if teachers could get everything done by working from say 8:30 to 6:00 (even if they had to sacrifice their lunch time) I'd have been very, very happy.

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Since both have been taken away, why should it be one or the other?

Reducing management teams would address both aspects.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think lanokia makes a good point. In that it's not money personally for teachers, but more money for schools to be able to do their jobs and personally to have more time, so one could have 'a personal life'.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

More time. Take it off the holidays. There's room to take work up to 230 days a year instead of 195.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

More time to plan and assess would be my priority.

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Working 9 to 6 on more days.

dunnocks likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What do we want?

Professional respect from the government, Ofsted and parents.

When do we want it?

Twenty bloody years ago, but NOW would good!

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I often work from 7 to 7. I would like to be able to cut that back.

ridleyrumpus and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

14. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

What's wrong with having both?

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Can't think of a better or quicker way to demotivate most teachers and simultaneously put off many potential recruits to the profession.

16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

9 to 6 would be absolutely amazing. I'd take a pay cut to get that.

I'd say I want more time, and I have turned down pay rises for that reason

ridleyrumpus, cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Although I am now retired, what I would have wanted was time and if I hadn't had to spend hours on compiling meaningless, useless data, I'd have had that time!! If I saw a use for it, I'd have been happy, but I was never convinced that anyone ever looked at it, let alone analysed it.

18. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Both.

Because I’m not in SLT, have no TLR or any other TLA, I’m stuck at the top of main scale. So my pay has been effectively dropping in the last umpteen year’s. I’d actually like to see more opportunities for experienced teachers like myself to be able to use that experience IN THE CLASSROOM.

90798B86-E8C6-4B4A-85A5-42DF0695E039.jpeg

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Time and the dole money. And if that doesn't work I'd go on the sick to get the housing association bungalow and the car.

1 person likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You'll be allowed to spread it over more days.