1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do teachers do in Half Term?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Jenna, May 26, 2016.

1. TES_Jenna

TES_Jenna New commenter

I'm interested to find out what teachers do in half term, besides the usual sleep, shop and go on holiday. Is there anything you do that is only done by teachers during the holidays?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Go into school, sort out the classroom, plan lessons, data, gather resources, write reports, lesson plans.

Hopefully have a bit of time for hobbies.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Usually they develop the flu. On the Saturday or Sunday. They typically recover five days later. Perfect timing.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Retired 7 years ago but:
    driving to Handforth Dean for shopping with Jenni Murray on Woman's Hour was one sure sign I was on holiday - loved it,
    buying and reading a magazine,
    not wearing a watch. Heaven,
    watching Newsnight,
    watch tele with no work on my knee.

Also used to do some work every day of half term except the weekends and evenings.

Of course other people do these things and when on holiday, love the feeling as much as teachers do. If you are wondering if teachers spend their holidays rekkying educational visit possibilities or other teacher specific things, I'd just lump them under the "work" heading.

delnon and slingshotsally like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh yes the dreaded 'lurgy', whuch waits till the start of half-term/end of term to strike. ;)

I imagine most teachers do some work these days, often long-term planning or trying to get a bit ahead, but half-term's do need to be used for R & R- teachers need it!

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I lost loads of holidays and half holidays to colds and flu. Since I left I've had a few meetings with former colleagues for lunch or the like cancelled or postponed as they developed their holiday cold.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's not to be sneezed at.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Apart from getting my car fixed and taking a load of stuff to be landfilled

Tidying up my room and putting up some more stuff on my walls

Marking some tests

Marking three sets of books

The usual

9. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Have experienced the perfectly timed flu/stomach bug on a few occasions. I managed to lose half a stone one Christmas and three courses of antibiotics in quick succession. Not my most treasured memory...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Forget my login and password for all school software. Catch a cold and catch up on reading.

peggylu and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Not to mention revision classes for year 11 and 13. I wonder why it's always those who don't need to come attend? :confused:

Am I glad I'm retired!!

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I used to getting on with my building firm and allotment/......half term I always tried to free up but didnt always succeed.When the kids where little i spent most of the day with them.

13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

For the Whit half term I am always booked into the Hay on Wye literary festival. It's such a beautiful area and it is great to listen to intelligent talks about books. A Shepherds ice cream and supper at The Granary are treats too. Try and get away even if only mentally by losing yourself in a good book or film. The other half terms I visit an art exhibition or see friends. You need to re-energise.

14. dearlouise

dearlouise New commenter

Sleep, try to reduce bags under eyes, sit outside to get fresh air for the first time in half a term, do chores I've been putting off for half a term, do things like get hair cut, dentist etc... see family. Try to eat properly / healthy as I have more time. Go to the gym. Read the pile of magazines on my coffee table.

Then, in the rare situation I have a bit of spare time, try to crack on and get ahead.

delnon and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

I teach in a boarding school. Pupils stay over half-terms. So I carry on working. Grrrr. I've managed to negotiate one day off, next Wednesday.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Boarding house duties, tidy my classroom, plan for next half term, catch up on marking, do some baking, go geocaching, do the garden and allotment...

17. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

Catch up on all of the appointments that I can't fit in during term time e.g dentist, car service etc etc!

slingshotsally and peggylu like this.
  18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Usually they just enjoy the escape into a world of sanity

rachelpaula008 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mark KS2 papers.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. knowsnowt

knowsnowt New commenter

Service the car, catch up with my family and get outdoors.