1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do teachers contribute to a school beyond the duties of a class teacher?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrharris94, May 15, 2018.

1. mrharris94

mrharris94 New commenter

Hello :)

I've been invited to an interview where I have to give a presentation on the above questions. I currently have extra-curricular activities. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,

x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The important point about this question is they have to be your ideas. Even suggesting vague areas you could consider, could influence your direction and suggest that you have no clear ideas of your own.
    And should a Head or member of the interview panel recognise this question as part of their interview remit, they may get a less than favourable impression of your abilities. Plus another candidate may see your ideas and use them themselves. because of anonymity provided on here the panel will hve no idea who copied who and will just strike you both off the list.

So think, what for you are the important qualities which might be attractive to a School. (Don't give answers on here of course.)

What drives do you have / improvementsh you would love to implement at a School?

When those ideas you present agree with the School's vision then that suggests a good match. Being an internal and 'knowing school priorities and points for improvement gives you an advantage here. use it.

JohnJCazorla and bonxie like this.
  3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

From what I read on here, most teachers don't even have time to discharge the duties of a class teacher ...

But as you've posted this in "primary" I'll throw you a no-brainer: subject leadership.

In fact, I'll throw you another thought - don't go to work in a school which uses the interview to normalise the overworking of teachers. Shocking.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Advice to less experienced colleagues?
    Mentoring trainees and NQTs?

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Haven't you just read the job description and despaired at the vast amount of stuff that has sod-all to do with teaching. Just repeat that lot of garbage back at them and stop when they start nodding off about a quarter of the way in.

Lara mfl 05 and drvs like this.
  6. mgladwin94

mgladwin94 New commenter

Super answer but I am an NQT who has been in the job for less than a term haha.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

I was responding to the OP though, @mrharris94

drvs likes this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

One and the same. Someone setup two usernames on Jan 25th.

9. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Agree you need to think personally about what you could bring. This will also be different depending on where you are in your career. If asked this in my sixth year of teaching I could have brought experience of mentoring students and NQTs but wouldn't have in my second year.

For me I'd have been looking at the values, vision and ethos of the school and discussing how I would promote these. I was also always a keen sportsman and ran a number of sporting clubs so would have been discussing that.

galerider123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. drvs

drvs Star commenter

And if asked in your 16th year, you'd probably keep quiet about all the things you can do because you know that the school won't pay you properly for them ;)

11. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

You'll smile once a week? Maintain a body temperature of roughly 37 degrees?

Make sure you answer with intangibles - 'mentoring, great parent-teacher relationships, 'above and beyond with pastoral care' etc, stuff that isn't measurable. Don't let them tie you down to a 'club' or any other such nonsense.

thefairyteacher and JohnJCazorla like this.
  12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I empty the dishwasher at least once a week.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

:rolleyes:
    There's a post going at my fabulous school...please come to us. You can empty the dishwasher every day if you really want to! :):):)

bevdex and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

We don't have a dishwasher but I occasionally wash all the mugs people leave around the staffroom. If I'm feeling particularly generous, I have even wandered around classrooms to collect mugs to wash.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

At least they did not ask you to bring an object with you to talk about ( as a visual representation of what kind of teacher you are ! ) - ha !

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

.. I shared an office ( I was Secondary) with two colleagues who were also advisory teachers but going back into schools ( Primary) who had this task . One chose a plant and one chose a key lime pie !

17. caterpillartobutterfly

We have two posts available...:D:D:D

Lara mfl 05 and lrw22 like this.