1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what do reception teachers want to know about the new children from the nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by imogeonjames, Jun 2, 2011.

1. what do reception teachers want to know about the children they are getting in the new term?
    im currently writing reports to go to school as well as they summative assesment booklet and just wondered what is it you would find helpfull to know and if you actually read the assesment booklets?

2. what do reception teachers want to know about the children they are getting in the new term?
    im currently writing reports to go to school as well as they summative assesment booklet and just wondered what is it you would find helpfull to know and if you actually read the assesment booklets?

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

This is going to sound dreadful, but based on my current year's intake from nurseries outside of our own, we have decided not to bother using the assessments they come up with. Some were dreadfully wrong (eg child with complex SEN given 3-4-5 ELGs). And of those that were accurate, they did not reflect where the children were when they started in September in a new setting and not knowing anyone. So we decided to start from scratch.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

imogeonjames:
    what do primary teachers want to know about the nursery children they will get in september on there early years summative assesment reports? and do they actually get read or are they a pain?

keep it succinct and accurate
    imogeonjames:
    and what would be ideal as to what you want the child to be able to do before they start?

go to the loo and wipe their bum without an adult
    hang up their own coat and remember which is theirs
    take turns
    eat with a knife and fork not a spoon or finger
    listen for a few minutes
    talk in short sentences
    follow simple instructions

5. Thank you i know a lot of teachers think us nursery folk are stupid and some of us are but i always want to put information that will be usefull for the teachers but i know generally they dont get read or we are scolded for sending them with the scores to high so it effects the targets reception teachers get

6. Msz

Reception teachers don't get targets but they do want an accurate picture so they can plan for future learning.
    If you send a huge file (and we have 30 children) we don't have time to read it

7. a school some of the children from the nursery went to phoned to complain that the childrens reports we sent while accurate were ahead of the rest of the class and needed to be toned down so the reception teacher could show a bigger ammount of progress since the children we sent could already read simple books and write recognisable letters and words (these were 3 very bright children)

8. Msz

then the teacher should have no trouble showing very good progress
    I've had children arrive with scores of 9 across the profile and believe me they weren't accurate

9. Some children were sent to us from a private day nursery on 7, 8 and 9s on the profile scale. I am not sure they fully understood the scales and did not read the accompanying material that explains what children need to be doing to get that point.
    As a Reception teacher I would like to know their likes/dislikes, medical needs, any concerns generally, siblings and family set up.
    Hope you get on ok!

10. the teacher was relucatant because apparently the teacher was being assessed about her class on a curve so it did not look good and i know some nurseries are really bad at writing assessments but some nurseries are better and i would never mark anyone up or down

also would it be helpfull to know if say a child has been at a nursery since 6 weeks and they have always had the same staff around them and are going to a school where they know no one so the things they can do at nursery will probably be different from what they do at school

11. Oh and do they leave their parent happily? Forewarned is forearmed on the first day of school!

12. Msz

The child's starting point should not be an issue if it is accurate

not really
    only if there are attachmen tissues
    only ifyou think the child might struggle to make friends as there will be many other children in the same situation.

13. Msz

I would want that information from parents not the nursery

14. I value everyones input but each to their own.

15. I hope this is not taken wrong way. Dont want to be bolshy!

16. Msz

Inputs fine but things like medical details must be confirmed by parents and in some cases by doctor

17. Indeed.
    Hope you got some good ideas from this thread Imogen. Has made me think again about our transition. We have a long way to go at our school!

18. thanks and dont worry very very few schools have good transition policies as they discount all nurseries and pre schools that are not there own and do not seem to understand that for some children who spend 5 years with one set of people and then move its a giant disruption for them hopefully schools will start to recognise this and put in place better transition policies

19. Msz

It's an even bigger disruption for children who have spent 5 years at home with mum which is why all children need to be treated as individuals.

20. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

At our playgroup, we give the Learning Journeys to the parents (we know the teachers won't have time to look at them properly) and we give the schools a copy of our Record of Development Summary which shows the child's Strengths, Interests and any needs starting from when they first joined and updated each term. The parents have added their comments each term and from this we note next steps for each subsequent term. It is brief and succinct and gives a good snapshot of each child's progress during his/her time with us.
    Some schools ask us for a tick box of the DMs but most are happy with our RDS.