1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do people think about visualisers in KS1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fruit_bat, May 6, 2012.

1. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Hi all,
    I recently had training on using visualisers in the classroom. All the KS2 classes have one and the KS1 teachers have been asked whether they would like one or not? I'm Year 2 and I'm not sure what I think of them but my colleagues in Year 1 weren't so keen. Just wondering what people thought of them and are they worth the money. I'm not sure of the make we bought but they cost £700 each I think. I'm surprised they have made such an expensive purchase as this is very unlike my school!
    Thank you!

2. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Hi all,
    I recently had training on using visualisers in the classroom. All the KS2 classes have one and the KS1 teachers have been asked whether they would like one or not? I'm Year 2 and I'm not sure what I think of them but my colleagues in Year 1 weren't so keen. Just wondering what people thought of them and are they worth the money. I'm not sure of the make we bought but they cost £700 each I think. I'm surprised they have made such an expensive purchase as this is very unlike my school!
    Thank you!

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I love my ladibug!
    ( and it was "only" £200 ish!)
    I think it depends on whether you use it, like everything IT based, you have to plan in opportunities, but I think they can be a fantastic resource

4. £700? Wow, no wonder you're not sure!!

We have the TTS ones which are absolutely fine and something like a seventh of that price!
    All I can really think of to use them for is in science when looking at minibeasts etc up close, or sharing work/books. Id be grateful for other ideas!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Writing - examples of children's work to edit

6. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Where did you get your ladibug from? I'll look it up and see what the differences are.
    The man who was doing the training said it could be used as a 'show and tell device' so like you mentioned showing things up close and also like msz said cane be used for marking and showing how to edit work.
    He also showed how using this particular visualiser you could freeze the screen, split the screen etc. He also showed how it could be used to make animations but to be honest it was after school and my brain wasn't taking it all in. I just think 700 is such a large amount of money and the visualiser itself was quite big. I am still very much undecided so will look forward to seeing what people write on here.
    Anyone think they are not worth it?

7. We have the TTS ones too.
    I mainly use them to show other children's writing (as Msz said) - can be great for pointing out all sorts of things - much better than me trying to make up an example in the IWB.
    I do use it in maths too to show how different children have worked out a calculation etc. Can be great as a mini plenary half way through the lesson or a starting point for the next one.
    Would also appreciate finding out other ways to use the visualisers!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We also have the TTS ones. I use them for all things already mentioned, but also for demonstrating handwriting. It is great to have the exact same book and layout as the children and writing in the way I want them to do it.

Also for showing models made in independent learning time.

I used it to show children in a reading cottage in class assembly as well. Just held it over them and moved it about, so all the audience could see.

Also for showing the words for the sings from singing maths and singing phonics, that only come in the A4 book.

9. roise

roise New commenter

I have a TTS one in year two and use it every day. I use to look at children's work, To snap shot things I want on my flip chart, to read story books with the children so they can see the pictures and follow the text, to demonstrate maths games, to write a message to them rather than say something, to show a science demonstration, to show something good they wrote on their whiteboards during the carpet session, to look at how our caterpillars grew, to film children acting out stuff.I could go on for ever. Mine is fine but if I could get a better quality one especially one that worked as a magnifier I would jump at the chance.

10. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

We also use it for shared reading, it's great because you can discuss strategies together. My class love spotting speech marks, bold print etc. We have also used it for peer assessment, discussing homework and in science.
    Children recently brought photographs related to our topic and it was quick and easy to view as a whole class.

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I have one of those tts ones and I hate it! I cannot get it to focus clearly!

12. I struggled with that, but then changed the preview resolution. It's up at the top under settings. Changed it to the highest now it's really quite good!

13. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Thank you for all your replies. I have read/heard bad reviews about the one from TTS - mainly that its focus isn't great and it topples over.
    Going to ask one of the KS2 teachers if they will let me borrow it for a couple of days so I can play around with it. Thought that would help me make up my mind.

14. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I have a tts one too and hate it! So much so that I took the nice big posh one from my old classroom to my new classroom, thus leaving yr5/6 without one and me having a lovely one in yr2! In my defence though, I do use it everyday! From modelling work, showing good examples etc. I also do maths work under it, things like hiding some counters under my hand, using place value equipment and numicon for all to see. I love my visualiser! Anyone is welcome to take my tts one! Please don't get a tts one!

15. I teach in Year 1 and I could never be without my visualiser. I'm not sure what model it is but it's wonderful for showing things the children have brought in, using as a microscope in science and zooming in on details of pictures for art. I use it for modelling in writing and showing examples of children's work to the class. Any time I have a worksheet I can just put it on the visualiser and work through it with the children.

16. inq

inq

Showing examples of work, demnstrating using a numberline, demonstrating using a ruler.

Mine is still quite new but it is also useful to not be blocking anyone's view as I can sit at side, children also like seeing the same equipment/ resources that they will be using..

The only minor 'problem' I have is is that I have to use it via the software for it rather than straight from it as I have a visually impaired child with their own monitor in my class and this is the only way to get the visualiser onto the monitor and my IWB, but this is very minor.

17. A big yes to a visualiser in all classrooms from me. Great for reading stories on. Definitely worth spending the money on a good one though. Cheap ones are cumbersome, dont update quickly enough and have poor picture quality. Also worth looking for one that doesn't depend on a computer too. Google elmo.

18. I just googled elmo (well, tried that and then googled elmo visualisers so I didn't get Elmo from Sesame Street!) and their visualisers look good. However they don't have any prices on the site as far as I can tell. Do you have any idea of the prices please, particularly the basic ones? I don't want to contact them at this point.

19. About £500 each. Pricey, but worth it. You can get wireless ones too, but I dont know how much they are.