1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

What do ks3, ks4 etc mean?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kiwiragdoll, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Hi
    Am new to this site and am finding some good resources but some of the terminology is very different in this part of the world. It is a bit of a time waster looking for things for a certain year level when it is called something completely different!
    Could somebody please briefly let me know what years your school systems covers and what the corresponding acronym is?
    Eg Year 10 = ks3. Year 11= GCSE or whatever
    Thanks.

2. Hi
    Am new to this site and am finding some good resources but some of the terminology is very different in this part of the world. It is a bit of a time waster looking for things for a certain year level when it is called something completely different!
    Could somebody please briefly let me know what years your school systems covers and what the corresponding acronym is?
    Eg Year 10 = ks3. Year 11= GCSE or whatever
    Thanks.

3. Hi,
    Reception class = age 4-5
    Year 1 = age 5-6
    Year 2 = age 6-7
    etc up to Year 13 = age 17-18

Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are grouped together and called Key Stage 1 (KS1)
    Year 2 - Year 6 are grouped together and called Key Stage 2
    Year 7 - Year 9 are called Key Stage 3
    Year 10 - Year11 are Key stage 4
    Year 12 - Year 13 are not compulsory and don't have a KS number. (usually called A level at my school)

There are exceptions to this but usually KS1 and KS2 are known as Primary school; KS3 and KS4 are known as Secondary school; A-level may be attched to a Secondary School or may be at a separate college.

4. KS5 = post 16
    KS4 = Ages 14-16 (Y10 and 11)
    KS3 = Ages 11-14 (Y7-9)
    KS2 = Ages 7-11
    KS1 = Ages 4-7
    EY = Early years

5. Sorry, meant to add that GCSE's are studied in Year 10 and 11 (though some schools start them in Year 9)

6. Just to add to the proliferation of letters and numbers, Reception is also known as Foundation Stage ( actually Foundation 2 and Nursery is Foundation 1!)