1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I put in a letter of application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MarionMcGowan, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm applying for a school in England for the first time. The school asked me to forward a CV and letter of application by email. I have two questions about the letter of application:
    • What information must I include in the letter of application?
    • How long should the letter of apllication be? At the moment its one A4 page typed.
    This is what I've got so far.. Id really appreciate any advice or constructive criticism you have to offer!
    Marion
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Mr.Smith,
    I’m replying to
    your advertisement in the Sunday Independent on 8th January, for a
    teacher of mathematics. You will find a detailed CV, attached for your
    consideration. I will be able to forward
    hardcopies of my college transcripts and references on request.

Since
    graduating, my teaching experience has been primarily in mathematics. In my
    most recent employment as an adult education maths tutor, I was teaching
    leaving cert maths topics with a focus on real life examples and problems. I
    was responsible for planning course programmes in line with the syllabi and
    designing all the course material and assessment for each programme. I also
    coordinated with management and other Fetac tutors to ensure that weaker
    students were receiving extra help where necessary and achieved their best
    possible result.
    In Ireland, the
    new Maths syllabus (Project Maths) places an emphasis on student understanding,
    learning through discovery and real life applications in areas such as
    Trigonometry, Probability & Statistics, Functions and Modelling using
    Maths. In actively studying the specifications for Key Stage 3 and 4 Maths, I
    was struck by similarities between these courses and the new Project Math
    syllabus. I have attended a professional development course on trigonometry and
    geometry, which focused on curriculum changes, new resources and strategies for
    teaching. I am also competent at using ICT resources such as Geogebra and Excel
    in my lessons. I completed an ICT & Project Maths course that enabled me to
    develop Geogebra resources in the area of numeracy, algebra, and functions.
    I am aware that your
    school’s GCSE and A level results in Maths are well above the national average.
    I know that you are focused on continually improving results and standards of
    teaching. I believe that my excellent subject knowledge, combined with the
    resources and methodologies I have developed, will make me a valuable addition
    to your teaching staff. I hope to hear from you in the future. Thank you for
    your time and your consideration.
    Yours Sincerely,

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly, just a 'heads up' about putting up examples on open forums, where others may plagarise your ideas.
    It's rather unusual to be asked for a CV but Theo Griff, our resident expert and the team has set out all you need to know in these threads.

Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview...

where it says
    The letter or statement
    • Carry out the instructions
    • No more than two pages means 1½ - 2 pages, not just one paragraph
    • Handwritten if they ask, but typed unless they specifically ask for hand-written
    • Address any issues they ask you to, don’t just ignore them
    • Make it specific to this post in this school
    • Wring value out of every sentence you put in, cut the waffle
    • Tell them why they need you, not why you need them
    • Make it specific to their job description, addressing their needs
    • Make it as structured as a good student essay
    • Make it easy to read
    • Get it professionally typed unless you are an ace at laying out documents. A professional lay-out always looks better

3. Thanks for the advice but I'm confident there aren't too many good idea there and its very specific to my situation. I really put up the example because applications are completely different in England and I am afraid there might be something in my cover letter that shouldnt be there.

This school advertised in Ireland and I believe that why they requested a CV, as its the norm here. However there was very little information about the school, the post advertised or what they're looking for. I've done quite a bit of research and included some general info about the school in the example above.
    Is there anything really essential that I've left out?? Because I've never written a 2page application before and I'm not sure what else to include while keeping it relevant and to the point.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm <u>certainly no expert,</u> but reading your example it seems a bit 'impersonal'. Perhaps adding some examples to your points and giving your opinions might add a bit more of a personal touch?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

O.K. Marion - let me just confirm what Lara has said - for your benefit and for the benefit of any other poster.
    Do NOT post an application on a public website.
    Do NOT read anyone else's application.
    Do NOT copy anything that you see on a website.
    You know that software that UCAS uses, to see if your personal statement is similar to someone else's? Some schools and local authorities are using it too, and will reject applications that seem to have been copied - or merely inspired - by others.
    Even if it's just one part of it.
    If you post your application on here, then someone else could copy part of it, but <u>you </u>could get rejected.
    Point 2: do not post an application on here for me, or anyone else, to comment on it.
    If people started doing that, Mrs TG would never get me to peel the potatoes because I would be spending all my time reviewing applications.
    The TES Careers does application reviews; my colleagues there will look over an application for you. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for details.
    But, as Lara says, there is advice for free available in the Welcome thread.
    Sorry - this is not the answer that you wanted to hear!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. How about?

Dear Headteacher's name

Gisajob!

Yours faithfully

Yours truly

LOL!

Seriously, why don't you phone up or email the school and say what you've said on here? I.e. That you've read the website and supporting documents received etc (which you found very helpful) but as you haven't received a person spec or job description, you would like to know if there's anything beyond that (the information you've used to construct your letter) which they are particularly looking for in a candidate, as you're keen to be selected for the jobr? I'm sure that you're not the only applicant who doesn't know what to write. That said, your letter looks fine to me.