1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need to teach in a primary school?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Mroneill13, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Mroneill13

Mroneill13 New commenter

I am a Secondary school teacher with a PGCE in IT and secondary school teaching, been teaching 6 years. I would like to start teaching in a primary school and was looking to find out what I would need to do to make this happen e.g. a bridging course? Any information online seems to be a bit dated.

Thanks in advance.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The last two teachers we have recruited have come straight from secondary with no experience past year 6/7 transition. They were enthusiastic, turned up for the interview and had a pulse-which is pretty much more than we currently expect !

Mroneill13 likes this.
  3. Mroneill13

Mroneill13 New commenter

Thanks for the reply. SO no out and out qualification needed?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

No, just enthusiasm!
    Obviously it depends on the supply and demand in your area, we simply can't find any primary teachers and so are desperate! But both secondary teachers we have employed have set out an application form with good reasons why they wanted to transfer to primary teaching ( and not because it would be easier!) had clearly thought about the difficulties they might face and how they would overcome them, had done their research into the primary curriculum and the challenges they would face. Their lessons ( whilst neither were pitched correctly) at least showed an understanding of the teaching process and we were confident that, with support, they would prove a useful addition to the school. ( Both also had a head, all four limbs and could breathe independently-the latter wasn't a deal breaker though!))

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are qualified to teach Primary.

But whether you will get a job will depend, of course, on the competition.

Some areas, as @CarrieV says, are having serious difficulties in appointing Primary teachers. C.E. and Midlands seem to be having difficulties.

Others (SW, NE, NW) have a good number of Primary trained and Primary experienced teachers.

Moving from secondary to primary

Note what CV says!

Good luck!

Best wishes

6. gem27_88

gem27_88 New commenter

I am in exactly the same position as Mroneill13. I have a PGCE in ICT and since the curriculum has changed over to Computer Science I have found that my subject knowledge is just not good enough to be teaching year 11, 12 and 13. I am considering primary teaching as I have recently discovered that I have more a love of teaching overall rather than my subject. To try and get experience I am teaching year 3 and 4 ICT in my current school (we have both primary and secondary) do you think that this will be enough experience or should I consider supply teaching at primary level to gain more experience? Also would primary schools see my ICT/Computer Science experience as an advantage as I know primary schools also have to teach the new computing curriculum.

Thanks!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Again, it depends on the number of vacancies/available primary teachers in your area. Certainly someone who has already had some experience in primary classes would be at an advantage over those that haven't. And as you say, computing is a requirement at primary level too so your training would be another advantage. ( But be prepared, you will be expected to work out why the photocopier won't talk to the laptop, why the ipads refuse to turn on and how to download videos from youtube!) In my area you would be welcomed with open arms!

gem27_88 likes this.