1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What do I need to take with me when I leave to prove I have completed some of my NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Georgia99, Apr 23, 2012.

  1. Georgia99

    Georgia99 New commenter

    Sorry if this sounds a stupid question. I have been at my school for two terms but as I am part time I can only say that I have completed one full term of induction.
    My problem is that my school have been appalling at providing me with an induction. I managed to get a NQT folder and have been listing evidence sources although no standards have been signed off as I have not managed to secure any meeting with my mentor (believe me I have tried).
    I managed to receive two observations, the mentor rushed off straight after each so there was no tme to talk to him. I was given email feedback about the first and was rated 'good'. My mentor promised me a copy of the written feedback but after lots of hassling on my part I am yet to receive this. I had a second observation and have never even had any feedback, verbal/email or otherwise.
    I am now leaving the school and have repeatedly emailed my mentor about what I need to take with me to prove I have completed the term. I stopped him several times in passing but keep getting told he is busy and will see me soon. I have spoken to senior staff about this but they just say they will remind him and nothing has happened.
    I am very worried that this time is not going to be recorded towards my induction now, I am thinking that I am going to complain to the LEA about the school but my main concern is that I have less than a week to try and get something to prove I have completed a term of induction.
    Please can you advise? Thank you in advance.
  2. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    You should have sent a form to your LA to say you have completed a term of induction. This says what standards you have met and if you are likely to pass at the end of the year. Contact the NQT advisor at the LA and ask them to put pressure on the school to do this.

    This would be all you need.
  3. As you are at the end of term 1 of induction, you should have a formal assessment meeting witrh your mentor and headteacher and they should comp[letean assessment form for the LA. This will state how you are progressing and should be signed by (as a minimum) you and the headteacher - often the mentor as well. It should be submitted no more than 10 days after the meeting to the LA and this consititutes the evidence that you have completed a term. Contact the LA NQT adviser and they should chase the school for the paperwork. Ultimately it is the Head's responsibility to ensure that the paperwork is complete and sent in.
    The Sage

Share This Page