1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need to plan/ prep for mixed Yr/Y1 class?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by amz1989, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hello!

Hopefully someone can help me please! Like many I am starting my NQT year in September, however I will be teaching a mixed class of year ones and reception. Some new children will have been to day care and others won't and I'm not sure how best to plan for the two year groups to optimise their learning in the first couple of weeks! I'll be having to settle the new ones and teach the older one!

Any help appreciated!

Thank you,
    Amz

2. I think that the Year 1s will be able to help you to "settle" the Year Rs because they should be old hands at general classroom routines and model the correct behaviour to the younger ones.
    Maybe you could make mixed year group buddies to support that social learning as well.
    Best of luck, hope it goes really well!

3. Thank you Chunfty! I was thinking about that, I will be instilling my own general classroom rules (such as no more than four in the sand, four in the water etc) which may be slightly different to last year but they can definitely assist with the general rules and model behaviours for them... thanks again!

Amz

4. Hi Amz,

I'm an NQT too who has secured my first position as a mixed YR/Y1 teacher! I'm confused about how I'm going to structure my timetables, have you had any thoughts about this yet??

Claire

5. Hi Claire,

I'm trying to fit in about 45 mins of lit and num in the morning each day, whether that be specific focus activities with the year groups separately or together (I will build this up as term progresses for y1 to the full hour). I'm also fitting some free time into morning too for 45 mins then planning on doing 20 minute phonic session each afternoon and fitting everything else around them!! As yet my afternooons are blank and I think I'll fit everything else in where I can for the first couple of weeks until I have worked the class out!
    I know exactly what I need to do for each year group but as yet for literacy and numeracy I'm a little stuck about how to bring it all together! EEK!!
    It's SO nice to know someone else is in my position too though!! Where about are you teaching?

Amz x