1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need to know about doing an NQT year at an Independent School?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by HUNTJO, May 14, 2011.

1. Just after some advice.
    A job has come up at a local indpendent school in my area (senior) and I have handed in an application for the post. If I am really lucky and get an interview then I will be able to look around the school. Having read the application information about the school and the post I am not really sure if it is for me.
    Just wondering if anyone has some top tips or advice. How well are NQTs supported and protected in Independent schools? What do I need to make sure I find out? Also this is the first post I have applied for, if I get to visit the school, will I know straight away if it's right for me? It's a worry that the school might seem great but my experience might be completely different- is there anything I should look out for and make sure I ask about when going round??
    Advice please.

2. It depends what your priorities are and with my short experience, I know that I'd rather work in a school with some challenging kids, but with a great support and atmosphere among staff, rather than in a school where all the kids are angels, but where staff do not communicate and support each other. So think about your current experience in differents schools, what did you enjoy/hated about each of these schools? What were the highlights, what drove you mad during this year? What make you think that this job wouldn't be for you?
    I found it very hard to identify whether I liked the school or not at the end of my pgce, but the two interview I did during my nqt year, the first one I knew straight away I liked the school, and would fine there, the second one, I had a massive crush on the kids, the departments, the way staff were relaxed and having a good laugh in the staff room etc, and luckily I got the position.
    Asking during the interview what they have in place for NQTs is a good idea actually!

3. It's a mixed bag, really.You are still entitled to induction the same as everybody else.

Having amaazing children and a perfectly rich school with small classes doesn't always mean you'll be happy, though. I've had an awful year - and the parts of the year that I love are the parts where I'm with the students! I keep thinking... maybe I should've gone to a normal state school, where the children hate learning but the staff are cohesive.