1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need to do before I go?

Discussion in 'English' started by Dunk, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Dunk

Dunk New commenter

Hi guys,

I'm fast approaching my last three weeks in my current school (secondary). I need to compile a list of things I have to get done before I leave. Apart from packing etc, what should I have on my to-do list?

2. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Be up to date with your data entries and marking; leave positive final comments in exercise books where appropriate. Go out of your way to say thank you to those members of staff who have been helpful and supportive; they will appreciate it. Enjoy your final days.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Export anything from email or other online accounts controlled by the school.

4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Ask your school if there's a handover process. One school I was in required an awful lot of paperwork to be done - wish I'd known sooner!

5. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

I once knew an old Head of Department who left an envelope for his successor. On it he wrote "If you ever have a major problem and don't know what to do, open this".

Inside was a second envelope which said "Leave it for an hour or so and if you still don't know what to do open this".

Inside that was a small piece of paper which said "Blame me".

That's all he left.

6. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

Leave as much info as possible about groups which will be passed onto another teacher (10 into 11, 12 into 13). Staff and kids will appreciate this.

And don't forget about evidence for performance management. Your new school may well want this. I'd recommend checking with them. From personal experience, it's hard to get the evidence once your email and access to school systems have gone.

On a selfish note, I'd also think about making sure you have a copy of any resources you've developed. Ownership is debatable once you're no longer employed by an institution, so get the memory stick out.