1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need on the walls in my KS2 classroom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Twinkles, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Moving from YR/1/2 to Y4/5/6 - eek!! Been in today to try and sort out desks etc and now I'm wondering - what displays do I need/should I have? Don't want the children to come into a totally empty room but I'm really stuck for ideas at the moment.
    Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks

2. I tend to have my biggest display dedicated to our first topic with lots of pictures, vocabulary etc. I make it as eye-catching and interesting as possible and then gradually replace bits of it with children's topic related work as it is produced. I prefer to celebrate children's work on the walls as much as possible, they prefer that too I think!
    I have a VCOP display that stays up all year, but gets changed so it is relevant to what I'm teaching at the time.
    I will have a place value maths display. It has lots of giant colourful arrow cards that can be moved around so it's nice and interactive.

Other than displays, I will have the daily timetable that I write on every day, the L.I. and success criteria laminated sheets and that's about it. I don't like too much clutter on the walls as I think it stops the children actually noticing it. Of course, I'll have temporary things go up throughout the year, things like vocabulary etc, but they only stay up for the relevant lesson and then come down again.

3. Are you a recently sacked "advisor"? How about an original idea on your wall?

4. I have a HUGE classroom. In theory this would mean lots of display space, but unfortunately I have a LOT of windows too, so only the normal amount of display board space.
    Once I had the obligatory displays up as specified by the school (behaviour, learning styles, Welsh second language) I had one board left for displays through the year. This made things simple, but boring!
    I spent a few quid on some no nails glue and some cork tiles and have put up new 'display boards' in spaces on the wall that should have had a board put up but didn't. I did the same in my old classroom and the boards I created are still up, more than 5 years on, so it is a handy way of making extra display boards should you need to.

5. I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean. Is there something wrong with what I am doing in my classroom? The VCOP, L.I. and success criteria are all things I have to have on display - school policy. I have display boards and they have to have something on them - school policy. The timetable I made as the children like to know what they are doing and it stops them asking me thirty times a day, "What are we doing after break/lunch?".

Also, no I'm not a recently sacked advisor and I don't really understand that comment. I have only been teaching for a few years and I thought my displays worked well. If you disagree could you please explain why and hopefully suggest ways to improve them, rather than making a strange criticism with nothing helpful.

6. yogagirl

yogagirl New commenter

@Nickybo
    I think your ideas are awesome, don't worry about that unhelpful and ridiculous comment....
    I also do the same. I don't change the displays as often as I should really...but we have a topic approach every term, so whatever that topic may be, I have displays, vocab etc up to support it. VCOP words are done by the children and stuck on the wall as they build their vocab.
    I have permanent things dangling from the ceiling like an empty 2 litre coke bottle with a sign on it saying 2l and a picture of a kettle next to it so they can visualise how much 2l actually is and make a link at the same time. I have 3D shapes dangling with their properties stuck on etc..
    A nice idea for impact when a new class comes in is a target wall. I have laminated hotair balloons with a picture of them on the basket bit. Their general targets are made by the children on the first day and stuck onto the balloon. When they are making progress, their balloon gets moved up until they can do said target. Then the balloon reaches the top of the board, then they can make themselves a new target. Targets might include handwriting, behaviour, not shouting out etc..
    I have volunteered to do PPA cover this year so I don't have an actual classroom and it's just hitting me now!

7. Hello
    I am an NQT and moving into a year 3 classroom in September...
    Not managed to get into my classroom yet, but I have had time to prepare a few bits a bobs to put on display... We use working walls, so I plan to put up the basic headings for literacy and numeracy. Also have behaviour display called 'Reach for the Stars' which will take up a small amount of space. I am also going to make a 'dream tree' that will be up for the year. Managed to find some brilliant leaves on the internet which the children have wrote what they wish to have achieved by the end of the year... Have also made Literacy and Numeracy groups which are laminated (so if a child moves a group their names can be easily rubbed out and changed) so children can always see what groups they are in...also made headings for class targets so children always know what they are.... I will do more when our topic is started... my main aim is to make my room looking as bright and colourful as possible!

8. This sounds dictatorial if you ask me. Sticking children's levels on the wall is counter-productive: it doesn't provide incentive to learn - just reinforces labels on children.
    What is "I can"?

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

And how do you find time to do all that?

10. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Work myself raggid! [​IMG] I can is just the learning objective. It isn't bad actually. Chn know what level they are and see where they go next and the displays stay up all year.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Now I've always wondered about this. In schools where I have done supply, there is a list - well a print out in A4 small font detailing the requirements in writing, reading and numeracy from level 1 to level 4.
    I personally think that most children are not going to spend their time studying this in great detail - it's so much information on one A4 sheet that it's not very helpful. I do think having a list of say this weeks / units targets - at different levels is useful as long as it's simple and easy to read.
    You've got to look at the classroom from the pupils' perspective. Information overload? Or relatively useful prompts around the classroom to help them with their learning. What kind of environment do you like to work in?

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Why are you working yourself ragged? Have you forgotten you are not contractually obliged to do any display work at all?

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ahh...the dreaded Stepford School. Sounds awful.
    Imagine a staffroom with a display grading teachers on their most recent lesson observation, with movable names so the teachers could be moved from good to outstanding back down to satisfactory and below. Would this incentivise you? Or would it just make you want to leave?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Gosh - could you imagine? All the requirements of satisfactory, good and outstanding on a big sheet. Your name next to it, exampes of outstanding planning on a working wall, team points awards to teachers!!!

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Food for thought, eh?
    The more I think of it, the more the idea of children learning with the main incentive being that of moving up a sub-level, and having this displayed publically seems utterly horrible and too depressing for words. It's like something from a George Orwell novel.

16. ... Or we could physically move the children according to their Mark/level - top at front of room and poorest at back ...Mmn - wasn't this practice stopped decades ago? Goid point about 'levels' dispjayed for teachers -Really makes you think.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And don't forget to list the individual targets the teachers are aiming for!