1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need in my new classroom?

Discussion in 'English' started by soxy14, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,

I am going to be an NQT in secondary English 11-18 from September, and I have just found out that I have got my own classroom next year.

I know this post may be better suited to the NQT forum (and I may post there too) but I was just wondering what people's opinions of what I should prepare/ buy/ need/ hunt for my new classroom. I am told it will be a blank canvas.

I have seen a couple of other threads, but the majority are based around primary classrooms.

Thank you for your time and all ideas and opinions are very welcome!!

Soxy

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi Soxy

Just getting my ideas together for the new year so thought I would respond.
    Firslty, some schools have strict guidlines, so check first if there is a 'standard' required. If I were you I would begin to make things on levels/grades for each Key Stage. You might want to dedicate certain areas/board to KS3 for example.
    I like to have a mixture. For example, pieces of students work (this will come later obviously) and, better still, graded/levelled work.
    I also like to have info on the courses so perhaps 'What to expect in AQA/WJEC GCSE English' and to make this more interesting LOTS of images of book covers, characters, poems. If you have access to any Long Term planning, and knwo what topics/schems of work you will be teaching you could prepare some stuff on this. For exampl, if you are teaching Private Peaceful to a year 8 class you might want to start sourcing images, key words etc.. or some historical background resources that could double as display when your kids have used them in class? They LOVE producing display work too- mostly.
    I have a Connective board' and some examples/definitions of literary/poetic terms on coloured card. The school might even let you pop in and prepare some stuff?
    In fact, although it is more satisfying to have your own ideas and be really creative, I would also have a look at the other English rooms for ideas.
    BTW, if you look on the internet there are loads of brilliant things other have made. I recommend looking here first on reources and then places like The Grid (Google it). For example, I am going to be teaching Lord of the Flies and found some really ace things on here.
    Enjoy you first classroom; I love mine and am (usually) quite proud of it. At the moment it looks a little tired- like me I should think- and needs some TLC.
    [​IMG]Good luck
    Liz

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Sorry abour poor spg- no glasses on!

Liz[​IMG]

4. Thank you Liz- great suggestions. Yes I am very lucky that my school have said I can have free reign, so I am OK to do pretty much all I want.

Getting excited, now I just have to prepare for the hard year to come!

Thanks again

:)

5. I favour display work for younger classes and fairly technical stuff for older ones. I find that I don't really have time to produce display work with GCSE and A level classes, so tend to make my own stuff for the walls there - technical bits, overviews of modules, that sort of thing. It does the younger ones no harm to see what happens up the school as well - might even inspire a few of them to do A level Lit or Lang.