1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I get for 10 GB broadband download?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Ostpreussen, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi,
    You guys helped me a while back as I was enquiring about getting broadband after having used a dongle to access Bt- yahoo email account. Was on dial-up before (BT).
    Plusnet came out well and they have a good package:
    http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/packages/
    BUT, what do I get for the 10 GB downloafd a month? Is it adequate?
    Really want to check emails and download the odd movie and just check the odd general site.
    Not into social networking or the like; so would 10GB be adequate?

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

As a rough guide using iTunes:
    The HD version of Avatar (2hrs 40m) is 5.3GB, the normal version is 2.3GB.
    Realistically you're not going to use up 4GB just e-mailing and browsing websites unless you get into Youtube in a big way. Even social networking won't use up too much much data if you got into it.

3. However, most downloaded movies are about 700Mb long still (this was so they could fit on a single CD !). So it depends how many movies you think you'll download :)
    Realistically apart from downloading lots of Games/Movies you won't use up lots of download :)
    There's no reason why you can't try it and see. If you use more than 10Gb then Plusnet will almost certainly happily change your contract to a higher usage one, it means more money for them :)