1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Do I Do??

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by redhead123, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Here's the scenario: I left a job in a school in May where I was generally v happy, though becoming increasingly bored and after 8 years as a Teacher of English and Leader of Whole School Literacy, took up a role as Head of English at a brand new free school (opened Sept 2014 with just Yr 7 intake). Been helping to set school up since May.

The school where I am now is very different to my last one and that is fine; I thrive on change. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it, but I'm just not happy. It's not just one thing, it's not the change itself, I don't think- it's lots of things.

The system is a very rigid one- not much room for creativity and the behaviour systems in place seem to me to be over the top- edging on Draconian at times. Students receive detentions and tellings off, often being screamed at by SLT for talking in the corridor or forgetting their pen. I'm also struggling with a much longer school day- learning begins at 8am and goes until 4.30 pm. Lunchtimes, we are expected to dine with the students. Expectations are HUGE in terms of workload( I'm no stranger to hard work). Also, the majority of the staff are youngsters at the cut and thrust of it and I am the oldest member of staff by a good many years, at 44 years old. I knew all this when I took the job but the daily reality of it all is wearing and I don't feel I can sustain the pace to effectively drive a dep't forward. Achieving any sort of work/life balance does not seem to be possible now or as I look into the future.

Think I should add that I often am in tears in evenings/weekends at the amount of work I have to do and feel a nauseous feeling that I never felt before in my last job. My drinking/eating has increased to cope with the stress.

My question(s): do I get out now? How long do I leave it? Will I ever be happy here? It's only going to get harder as our intake increases.

Thanks for your input.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Crying and nausea are symptoms of a person under stress. Time to leave: the workload won't lessen, I'm afraid. If you keel over with exhaustion you will be replaced in a heartbeat, and in a few weeks you'll be forgotten.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's what is happening in education today. Take care of yourself.