1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what do I do with vegetables in oil?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mimmie, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Well I have been cooking more since you encouraged me, reading this forum as inspiration and I've even done some baking(!) but I'm stumped by a gift I've just received.
    It is four large 1kg containers, each of different vegetables in sunflower oil; grilled peppers, mixed mushrooms, artichokes (never tasted an artichoke!) and baby onions in an oil/balsamic vinegar mix. They are all from France, have a sell-by date of April 2012 and will remain unopened unless you tell me what to do with them! Any ideas greatfully received, as I want to try them, but once they are opened, they'll need to be used up. I'm assuming that I can't re-heat them and should eat them cold, but I'm guessing here...

Thank you

2. Hi everyone,
    Well I have been cooking more since you encouraged me, reading this forum as inspiration and I've even done some baking(!) but I'm stumped by a gift I've just received.
    It is four large 1kg containers, each of different vegetables in sunflower oil; grilled peppers, mixed mushrooms, artichokes (never tasted an artichoke!) and baby onions in an oil/balsamic vinegar mix. They are all from France, have a sell-by date of April 2012 and will remain unopened unless you tell me what to do with them! Any ideas greatfully received, as I want to try them, but once they are opened, they'll need to be used up. I'm assuming that I can't re-heat them and should eat them cold, but I'm guessing here...

Thank you

3. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

The first thing that springs to mind is to have a nice set of hors d'heuvres (sp?) at a summer evening party. Simply get some good french bread, cold meats, cheeses and a few dips (there are a good few recipes on here for those) and put all these in their own bowls to go with.
    To cook with them, I'd go pizza toppings with the artichokes, mushrooms and peppers for starters (not sure what you can really do with pickled onions!).
    Peppers, may be worth blending down some and putting them into soup (pepper and tomato particularly) which can be hot or cold (if they are unskinned then you may have to scoop the flesh off first). They also go nicely as a sambal to serve with curry.
    Mushrooms you could probably do the same (soup) with or heat through with a little garlic, toss with some fresh herbs, pasta and a squeeze of lemon juice.
    Artichokes I'm also stumped, only ever had them either fresh and on their own with butter and lemon, the ones in oil on pizzas or simply on bread or crispbreads - very tasty though.
    The baby onions may be possible to put into a coq au vin or boeuf bourgignon (sp?)

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The baby onions are gorgeous just as part of an antipasti plate.
    The rest I'd pop in top of a pizza......artichokes are my absolute favourite!
    Lucky you.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

7. Oooh, thank you, helpful people! Bang goes the diet! I'll open at the weekend to celebrate the holidays starting, and so I can graze happily next week... Apparently I was told by the person who gave them to me that I must try the artichokes, as they are fab, so I have a new taste sensation to look forward to!