1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by 19sunflower, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 19sunflower

19sunflower New commenter

I've just found out that I'm not needed in the academy I work for over the summer. I've been with them. Year, first for the summer course, then throughout th academic year.

We finished with exams yesterday and my boss told me today that due to social security costs and general business costs she can't afford to renew my contract over summer.what irritates me most is that she didn't tell me earlier. I asked her twice and she gave me no information.

I need to give a month's notice to terminate the lease on my flat. I don't have any income over the summer. Had I known earlier, I could've gone home and recharged the batteries.

I feel disappointed at the lack of notice.

2. You should be bliddy angry. You've been treated disgracefully. So sorry to hear this. Hope something turns up for you.

3. 19sunflower

Thanks. I am angry. The summer course is running and my Spanish cooleague is teaching the two levels. Teaching hours will be roughly 24 hours a week. I don't understand the situation. I've been here a year, yet I only found out the boss didn't want to renew my contract on Friday.

I feel sorry for the students because they won't get speaking practice with a native speaker.

4. 19sunflower

This gets worse. I went into the academy today to collect some papers to see about getting unemployment benefit and one of my colleagues was teaching a conversation class. She's not native either. I was under the impression that just one of my colleagues would be teaching the whole course.

I'm quite disappointed. Again it's the students who will loose out through no fault of their own.

5. It sounds like an awful place to work.

See this as a positive, at least now you have some options open to you.

I wouldn't immediately go and claim employment benefit, having been on it myself here in the UK, I found those 4 months very demoralising and downright depressing.

You could start by advertising private classes by word of mouth, then at least it's a start and will pay for your food and rent. Charge about 10-15E an hour and see what happens.

Are you planning to stay in Spain? If so, which area are you currently in?

6. 19sunflower

There is only a 2 week window to put the claim in here unfortunately. This starts from the day you are let go.

I've put posters up for private classes, but had little success. One guy was interested but then found a job. Someone else assumed I lived In a neighbouring town!! I've also had interest from people in Cordoba. I'm in a town about an hour and a half bus ride from Cordoba. If I was in a city, finding classes wouldn't be such a problem.

Yes, I think I'll be staying in Spain. If I claim unemployment benefit I can only leave the country for 2 weeks.

The whole situation makes me angry. So much that bad thoughts are back.

7. Would it not be a good idea to try and find work in Córdoba?

I'm sure there's a university there, plenty of secondary schools and businesses which naturally would suggest the possibility of working for a different academy in the future.

It's perfectly natural to be negative - I was the same!

PM me if you need someone to vent at.

8. biolgirl

biolgirl New commenter

I live and teach in Córdoba. There are plenty of people who want to learn English.

I don´t teach English, but I am inundated with requests to do so and all are very willing to pay.

I live in a small village out of town and If I wanted I could easily pick up 10 or 12 students, with most looking for twice a week. I am not interested - I love the school holidays.

Anyway people started asking me, when I started to become a real member of the community. I found an intercambio and hugely improved my Spanish. As soon as I got to know people and they realised I could communicate with them, thats when the requests for English lessons flooded in.

However I prefer to keep a couple of friends as intercambios and we meet to just chat spending some time in English and some in Spanish so we help each other - although most of our chats now seem to be mainly Spanish!

I am not interested in the work, but I now have a great social life and I have made loads of friends.

So my advice is get to know the locals in Córdoba as there are loads who want to learn English!