1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do i apply for?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Oldgit61, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Unless you are a mature applicant you should not apply for smt with such limited experience.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No doubt the 'Go for it!' crowd will appear shortly, but I'm with Oldgit61. Get a lot more experience before you put yourself up as a leader of other teachers.

3. I don't want to be part of the the 'go for it crowd' but I think it depends on the type of experience that you have had and how confident you think you would be in the job. Remembering that if you were successful and the head was away you are ultimately responsible for the school.possibly a very daunting challenge.

I am in my first post as deputy and had only been teaching 5 years in one school, it's by no means easy, but I am loving it so far.

Good luck in whatever you decide

4. I'm currently in my 3rd year of teaching and a member of SLT, so it can be done.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Only apply for deputy if you're ready to be a head. It happens; people take on their 1st deputy headship and the head goes off sick. Suddenly they're in charge .
    It happened to a colleague of mine after 3 weeks in post. Ofsted came later that term. Special measures and 2 years as acting head followed.
    If that terrifies you, wait. If it excites you, you might be ready.
    I speak as someone who got 1st DH post in my 4th year of teaching - but I'd sleazy dine an acting headship in a small school and had some idea what I was getting into, it was still a steep learning curve.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Sleazy dine = already done, obviously! Although I like sleazy dine!

7. That has to be one of the best typos ever.

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

perhaps one of my finest TES moments![​IMG]

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I thought you were talking about the caff we used to go to at lunchtimes when I worked in the East End of London. You got a well sleazy dine there.