1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do Hindu murtis tell us about God?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by alt1979, May 9, 2012.

1. I have got to teach a lesson on this and Im really stuck for ideas. Any help or resources would be great.
    Thanks

2. I have got to teach a lesson on this and Im really stuck for ideas. Any help or resources would be great.
    Thanks

3. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

Hello, I had the final observation for my NQT year with a very similar title to this and I was thrilled to bits when it went OK as I had a class who were known for being particularly challenging but with whom I had a good relationship! I will see if I can find my lesson plan and powerpoint and put it on my resources page for you to have a look at.
    The BBC Learning clips are great as they are short. The following clip helps to put Murtis into context in a temple/mandir, and is useful as a starter to get students thinking about what a murti is and how it is shown respect.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/worship-in-a-hindu-shrine/3619.html
    This site has some really useful information about murtis and some beautiful images. http://www.mandir.org/mandir/concepts.htm You could print off one or more images on a good quality printer, laminate it and set up a shrine in a safe corner of the room- I used fairy lights, incense, candles, flowers and fruit to give it as authentic an atmosphere as possible, with a nice tablecloth over one of the class tables/desks. It took a fair bit of setting up, (and the other classes later on were fascinated), but it was definitely worth it as it stirred up a lot of questions and a spiritual element that some of them had never experienced.