1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do/did you enjoy about teaching?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 8, 2015.

?

What do/did you enjoy most about teaching?

1. The holidays

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. The pay/pension

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. It is/was never boring

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. The interactions with the kids

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  5. Staffroom banter

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. End of term pub-crawl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Knowing you made a difference

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  8. Watching the kids grow, make progress and achieve

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  9. Being part of a group that only teachers can understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The stationery

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

This is intended to be a positive thread - there are some good things about the profession. What do you think?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Of course, depending on who you ask, I never actually did that anyway.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The teaching... with the kids... can't beat it.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The interactions with the children. I can't bear them being referred to as 'kids'.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I also enjoyed sparking interest in my subject amongst pupils...

6. monicabilongame

Me too @FolkFan - but I ran out of options :(

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I was looking for an option about my subject. I enjoy my subject that includes reading about it, learning more about it and inspiring that enjoyment in others.

cissy3 likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When I felt that I was trusted to do my job and I felt respected for doing so.

9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Bouf! Only one vote? There were loads of things! I spent ages doing stuff I thought would enrich the school experience for the kids (sorry, L!) in my charge, and never resented a second of it. But then, there turned out to be loads of stuff that made cluck all difference to anything that took ages. And then, the people that said "You jest, surely?" got disappeared and the people I thought were s**t teachers turned out to be cracking SLTs (cometh the hour etc) and it turned from the best job in the world to the one I had no respect for. That doesn't mean I have no respect for the people that tried harder for longer than me.

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

What Ena said.

11. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I really like my job and genuinely enjoy it most days, until I get to staff meetings on a Thursday afternoon ...

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I talk about "kids" all the time. What do you find objectionable about it?

13. monicabilongame

14. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have had moments with classes over the years that have made me smile a lot. I also continue to enjoy a wooden pen holder made for me by a boy (with his grandfather) for the end of the year; it is by far the most thoughtful gift I've ever received and I like to think he still remembers my lessons and has happy memories.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I had moments of pure joy! I worked with a boy in Year 6 and 7 when I was an advisor for behaviour management. We'd met regularly over time and I knew he was a very able boy, but sometimes the red mist descended.

I was talking to him about what he might career options and he said he would like to be a lawyer or a club DJ like his dad. I told him that I would look forward to reading about his cases in the future and be happy about his successes and wondered jokingly if he would remember the teacher who tried to help him when he found keeping his temper difficult.

He looked me straight in the eye and said, 'Miss, I will never forget you.'

Those moments are the reason I stayed in teaching. Moments like that don't happen often, but every time a pupil saw the light, every time someone thanked me and said they enjoyed the lesson, every time a parent recognised how hard we worked for their child, made the rest of it worthwhile.

So, it was the children that kept me there- just a shame that it was the adults who finished it.

16. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Seeing someone do their best and surprising themselves. That and little moments of kindness and consideration from people.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

As much as I slate the job now, I did love it. I loved the relationship that I developed with a class and I genuinely enjoyed their company. I loved teaching Primary because there was so much variety and I enjoyed planning schemes of work that were completely cross-curricular and that I found interesting to teach. I miss that part of the job a lot now that I'm doing private tuition, because it's so much more prescriptive and I have less freedom in how I teach things given that I get just one hour a week with a child. The extrovert in me enjoyed having an audience for 6 hours a day and as much as I'm loving the chance to actually be a stay at home mum to my baby this time round, I do miss the social aspect of being around people all day. Oh, and that awe and wonder moment when you see the penny suddenly drop, that's a good feeling.

Now I'm feeling all nostalgic for teaching! If it weren't for the way teaching is governed and run, I'd probably go back to be honest.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The number of times I said "Well, it's never dull!". It was sometimes genuinly quite hilarious, in the classroom and the staffroom. I knew some fabulous children and adults through school.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've always enjoyed

1. Helping people learn useful stuff
    2. Being creative in how I help people learn

However, in later years the opportunities for 2 became so restricted by OFSTED paranoia that I honestly felt I wasn't achieving 1 any more, so I left.

Now I'm outside the system and self-employed I have the chance to do both again on my own terms, and it's fun again.

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I miss the children the most since I seem to have been retired. This is followed by the buzz of a working class room where often we are interacting and working to targets.I miss the laughter and humour and often the same jokes passed down around the children.I actually miss their genuine warmth and care in Primary.although i stil have happy m,emoriesof secondary teaching.
    I don't often miss fellow teachers, but when it does spark, there is no greater community I would rather spend my time with.....not just talking shop but because I think we are a terribly under rated community with a huge fund of learning and knowledge.......even more huge creativity and humour..Its a shame the staff room days are numbered as many a happy moment I spent in comment and laughter in such places.