1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do colleges teach student teachers these days?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Elfreda6969, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Elfreda6969

Elfreda6969 New commenter

I would disagree.
    My student teacher has no knowledge of planning documents - ie the Primary Framework, Letters and Sounds etc. I had to go on a whole day's training session when we transferred from the Literacy and Numeracy strategies. Is it reasonable to expect mentors to replicate this kind of training.
    Of course, I understand the need for guidance from mentors to show student teachers how to plan to meet the needs of the children in the class. But I have had to introduce the Primary Framework, Letters and Sounds and other key planning documents to my student teacher. Not only that, due to his lack of familarity, I have had to do a considerable amount of the planning literally myself (we sit together but I give him all the ideas) because he often has very little idea how to plan a unit.

2. I'm a second year student and I must say, most of the first year was spent on planning! However, it was very hard to put it into context until on practice, and if it wasn't for the fact that the school/teachers were so brilliant (i.e allowing me to see examples and guiding me through the process) I'd probably still be struggling with certain aspects. I find that uni tends to provide the 'bones' of a subject, and you then have to do the rest yourself!

I really can't believe that he's done absolutely nothing on planning. Perhaps it's just an aspect he struggles with, so is blaming the university? (quite a common occurance!) Or maybe he didn't quite get the guidance he needed on previous placements.
    Either way, I agree it's quite a worrying place to be in your final practice!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I had a part time BA student in her 3rd of 4 years earlier this year. She was clueless about planning and claimed her university hadn't taught them how and her previous two school's hadn't bothered about it. After 2-3 weeks of constantly asking to see her files from those schools and eventually one day sending her home to get them, I found that both previous schools had flagged up planning to be a problem for her that needed addressing ASAP. After speaking in general terms to the course co-ordinator at a conference, I found that planning was a big part of the course and that the students actually had a proforma for lesson plans that they were generally expected to use!

I realised gradually that actually she couldn't be bothered to plan and used not being taught/expected to do so as an excuse. Soon put paid to that one!

I currently have a PGCE (so one year) student from the same university who is fab at planning and has clearly been taught well.

Might be your student and NOT the training at all.

4. I'm completing my BA in primary education at the moment, and although we've covered planning at Uni, it's quite difficult to put it into a context until you're actually on TP in my experience. However, to reach the end of year 3 and STILL find planning a struggle is concerning! I do remember that lesson plans took ages when I was first training, but I can now do a week's planning in half a day (obviously creating resources takes extra time).I would be very worried if I still found planning a struggle at this stage, we're applying for jobs now! How will this student cope with his own class if he can't plan adequately? Why has this not been flagged up during previous TPs?

5. Hi, I'm currently a BA trainee teacher and we spent two full days at university learning how to plan - our plans are roughly 5 pages long and we are supposed to refer to the National Curriculum and the National Literacy Strategy too. We also have to asterisk our own detailed progression threads throughout our plans.

I found planning to be really daunting and first but our university gave us examples of lesson plans used by past students which I found to be really helpful - perhaps you could ask the university to do that for your student?