1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did your life look like 10 years ago?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Reecedouglas1, May 18, 2019.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New commenter

As in 2009

What were at?

I was doing my GCSEs

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mine was green with a few blue spots on it

What business is it of yours anyway ?

nizebaby, burajda, nomad and 2 others like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

4. theselofane

theselofane New commenter

Much the same. When you pass 50, ten years seems like a month.

5. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Clearly you didn't pass your English. That middle sentence makes no sense at all.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ten years ago
    Yet again, so much scorn and contempt at this particular OP.
    Whereas I for one am pretty grateful for the clarification of what 10 years ago actually means.
    It's not often that posters will volunteer a proper explanation of their thread title, preferring instead to make arrogant assumptions and virtue signals based on their higher level mathematical proficiency.
    Thank you, OP, refreshingly helpful in this age of vacuous online nonsense!

7. theselofane

theselofane New commenter

Well I for one am thankful for thinking about 10 years ago since my memory is now so poor. So thank you to Reecedouglas - I now recall that I was a far happier person - more optimistic - and a little over 3 years from a mental breakdown, that has since clouded my life:-(

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ten years ago I was an internet influencer, then my aspirations and career direction improved massively and I became a pimp.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Ten years ago I was at the zenith of my massive struggle with several education 'organisations' As a F E lecturer with a PGCE F E, I was battling with that crazy nonsense set up 'The Institute For Learning' and with a local college refusing to allow me to build on my Skills for Life qualifications. I hadn't worked in any capacity since December 2006 and was living in a concrete bedsit on the eighth floor of a block of flats and being looked upon as some kind of information bureau for my numerous eastern European neighbours.

I was in regular correspondence with ACPO and the Information Commissioner and using the local library for all printing, photocopying and some online information.

Living on jobseekers allowance, I was spending so much of my dole on administration trying to get back teaching that I was going without food and getting quite ill.

My transport was an old bike a friend had given me. I was fighting and fighting the system and getting nowhere.

Soon after the college realised their stupidity and I got a letter from the Principal full of apologies and hope that I would continue to pursue courses there.

The IFL crashed and burned.

At the Christmas of 2009 I made a decision to get out of that situation once and for good by severing all contact with the world of 'education'.

So I went back to gardening.

I set myself some new goals and grew a great intensity of focus with a five year plan to have a better life in a nice place and to stop sleeping on the floor after three years.

So I imagined how I would live out in the country in a peaceful place and have a reliable car.

In the following four years I cleared all my debts and saved twelve thousand pounds. I then spent that money on an old Mercedes estate and paid six months rent in advance on an old thatched cottage in the countryside. I furnished the house, bought a load of tools etc.

I executed the five-year plan in four years and, being on the ascent, forgot entirely how absolutely impossible 'the authorities' are to deal with.

All their apologies had hardened my heart against them but, being satiated, I had grown comfortable and magnanimous.

Now I try not to think about it too much.

burajda and theselofane like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was fine before the leprosy struck

towncryer and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Ten year ago, I'd just moved house and started the job I still do. I also became a proper granny ( having been step granny for 10 years already)
    I've not held a job or a house for as long, so I guess that suggests I'm relatively content. Ask me again in ten years I expect to still be here but retired. That's if I haven't shuffled off by then.

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

In 2009 I got my first teaching job. I took the risk of not disclosing my previous convictions for ABH and drug dealing on the application form , my sister in law fabricated a reference for me and I havent looked back since. I am now principal of an FE Consortium on 140K a year and a lead Ofsted inspector.

15. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I was doing my GCSEs too Reece. :rolleyes:

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I faked my death along with my bezzies MJ and Farah-Fawcett so we could go and live on Elvis's Uh-uh ranch. It's surprising how much longer people last when out of the limelight, there's a talk on travel later this evening with Captain Oates and Amilia Earhart.

Laphroig likes this.
  18. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

My life looked decidely 2009ish.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had darker hair, fewer wrinkles and weighed less.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Same as now, living.