1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did your grandparents do for work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Reecedouglas1, May 16, 2019 at 3:19 PM.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New commenter

Saw this on another forum so thought I would start it here

Both my grandads were soilders in world war 2 and both my grandma were stay at home mums

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

What did your second cousin twice removed get for GCSE maths?

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My grandmother (maternal) never worked and had a live in maid/help, Bessie who helped run the house and her 2 daughters. My grandfather (maternal) ran a coal business. He was in the Navy during WW1 and I have a letter he wrote to my grandmother when expecting to be demobbed.
    My grandmother (paternal) didn't work that I know of. My grandfather (paternal) I know nothing of except he was in WW1

5. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Leccy board and a fur coat shop.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Maternal Grandfather was a precision machine toolmaker. Grandmother never worked as far as know. Paternal Grandfather was a bookies runner for a gang of Peaky Blinders until getting legit work on the trams for Birmingham transport. Grandmother never worked as far as I know.

7. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

My paternal grandma put tags on laces in a factory opposite her house (tags=those end bits on laces). My paternal granddad fought in WW1 and was out of work when he came home deaf from the shells all around him, so he took in washing and did it outside in the yard using a dolly tub, posser and mangle. He later worked in a textile mill.

My maternal granddad died when I was very young. He worked on the (steam) railway. No idea about my maternal grandmother she was shunned by my mother. I only remember seeing her once.

8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

Mum's Dad was a carpet fitter, Dad's Dad doesn't seem to have stuck to anything, drifting from job to job.

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Dads parents both killed by drunk driver long before I was born but she was a 'canary girl' during the war, he was her boss. Mum's dad was a butcher, her mum never worked that I recall.

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

One side were army and actress. The step grandmother after they divorced was an author. The other side were shop manager and something vaguely to do with theatre but I'm not totally sure what.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Is this just curiosity or is it something else?

Laphroig likes this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

"Never worked".
    You mean never got paid for the (unassisted by modern technology) housework, childcare and community support?

Pageant and nizebaby like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So that accounts for about 6 years of their lives. Were they influencers the rest of the time, or did they have proper gainful employment?

14. theselofane

theselofane New commenter

My grandfather worked in a biscuit factory - grandmother was a house-wife.

15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

An actress and a bishop

bevdex, agathamorse, nizebaby and 7 others like this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Any quotes?

Jamvic and magic surf bus like this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My Irish granddad left school when under 10 years of age (born 1888). He went for months at a time onto an island, on his own, as a shepherd, with food supplies delivered to him at intervals. He then came to Britain and was a coalminer before and after fighting in WW1 at Galipolli and The Somme.My Irish grandmother was a governess before marriage.

My Italian grandparents worked in cafés in the UK from 1914 onwards, eventually being owners. My grandfather mae proper ice cream and sold it from an insulated carrier on a tricycle in the summer months. In Italy my grandfather worked on the family farm. My grandmother left Italy aged 14 and never saw her widowed mother again.

18. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

On my father's side my grandfather was a coal miner who died just after I was born and my grandmother died giving birth to my father. On my mother's side my grandfather was a glass blower who fought in the First World War where he was gassed with mustard gas but survived to go back to his job until he was killed in an industrial accident in the 1930's. His wife was a housewife and died in 1977, the only one of these four I ever knew.

19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth, do it with thy might"

20. Aquamarina1234