1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you wear to interview?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rugby_gal06, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 26 applications after my last interview, I have finally secured another one! [​IMG]
    I have been looking at various forum posts that mainly suggest suits. I am thinking about this, but having checked the weather for my interview date, it is going to be very hot [​IMG] and the last thing I want to do is melt (My suit is a winter one!!)
    The alternative is smart trousers, shoes and shirt - smarter than what I normally wear in school this weather!! Would this be acceptable, or should I stick with the suit and hope that I don't melt? Sadly, I can't afford to go out and buy anything new. This is for a primary post.
    Any advice?

2. I've only ever worn what I normally wear on a smart day. Pencil skirt and vest with a nice cardigan.
    I always wear the brightest vest I can find for interviews!

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I would go for a suit personally but if you really think you'll be far too hot then go for a smart skirt and shirt.

4. Wear what you think you will be comfortable in (smart comfortable obviously!), if you aren't comfy then you will find it harder to relax.
    I'm with pink flip flop, wear something colourful - shoes, necklace, cardigan etc so that you stand out in some way. That way if staff etc are asked for feedback they can identify you without remembering your name - I believe I was 'the lady in pink' for my interview!
    Good luck!

5. Thanks for the ideas! I will keep them in mind [​IMG]
    Fingers crossed I choose the right thing!

6. I never wear a suit. I wear black trousers and a top I can teach in (never any buttons to pop open LOL) and I take a stripped jacket with me that I end usually draping it over the back of a chair.
    Has it stopped me getting a job not wearing a suit? No. Got the first job I went for. Then got the second job I went for then took 4 interviews to get my job for next September (and 2 of those were wrong schools for me and I had already decided that I didn't want those jobs).
    I prefer to be comofrtable (and smart) as I perform better and don't feel uncomfotable in clothes I wouldn't normally wear :)

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Headteacher's perspective - look smart and professional, but it doesn't have to be a suit, especially if you wouldn't normally wear one for work. I've been put off candidates wearing (to me) unprofessional garb (think: she'd probably wear that to go clubbing), but I've never appointed someone over another because they were wearing a suit. I've also interviewed some right twonks wearing beautiful suits.
    If you do wear a suit and it's warm, don't be afraid to take it off and put it on the back of the chair.

8. Thank you for the HTs perspective Middlemarch.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just to clarify - obviously I meant the jacket, not the trousers/skirt as well...[​IMG]

10. I thought that was what you meant when I first read it! [​IMG]
    It would definitely get me noticed if I took it all off!