1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the summer between graduating and starting your NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dorayme, Feb 13, 2012.

1. New to the TES forum, hello!
    What is says on the tin really, what did you do in the summer between graduation and NQT year?
    I'm currently doing my PGCE Primary and aside from the massive workload and looking for a job in september, I am getting increasingly worried about what I am going to do in the summer after graduating! Although I will hopefully be basking in the glory of passing and getting a great job...I still need to pay the rent and eat for 2 months!
    What job did you do to make ends meet over the summer?

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I was lucky enough to get a bursary £4k, plus quite a lot from SFE which I stretched to last over the summer. I THINK you can claim job seekers allowance even if you have a job lined up for September, as long as you look for temporary work over the summer, e.g. waitressing. Places like racecourses often need temporary casual staff so I did a bit of that.
    I don't mean to put a downer on you but something like 50% of people leaving PGCEs don't have a job come September, and there isn't much supply around. If you don't have a job lined up for Sept, your best bet may actually to be to look for something "permanent" even if just Asda or whatever, until you get that teaching job. Relying on supply isn't the best idea - in half a term I got about 12 days work, and that's more than most.

3. Luckily I secured a job by the end of my course (about June time) so felt pretty relaxed. Still had pay bills etc but nobody was willing to take me on knowing I would be leaving them in Sept. Sadly had to sign on (really not a nice experience) but something had to pay the bills. You'll be fine.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you can't get a temporary job over the summer, you can sign on for Jobseekers' Allowance as long as you can state that you are available for f/t work and actively looking for f/t work.
    If you have a job lined up, they only require you to look for temp work.
    Find out exactly whan your course officially ends. It might be mid- June. You can then make a claim for JSA on the first weekday after that date, either by using their phone service or filling in the forms on-line ... accessed on http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_200090.html
    My daugher had paid University self-catering Hall of residence rent up to the end of July in her final year. She stayed on in Nottingham to look for work over the summer as there was less chance of work at home and she claimed JSA and Housing benefit in Nottingham, getting back the rent that she'd paid up-front until the end of July. She then transferred the claim to a different office when she moved back home and did find work locally.
    JSA is £67-50 per week for anyone aged 25yrs and over and £53-45 for those aged 24yrs and under.
    Housing benefit is extra if you are paying rent (but you don't get it if paying rent to live ina family member's household.)
    You can also get Council Tax relief and free NHS services and swimming at Local Authority facilities should also be free if you get the means-tested JSA Income Based, which involves you having savings under £8k.

5. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I also signed up for JSA! I did look for a temporary job, but found it really difficult - this was not helped by the fact that I was moving cities half way through the summer though!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I was 'lucky' and had a job lined up (thought it took 9 interviews!) so I went on a last cheap holiday after my PGCE and then came back and worked as an office temp.
    However since my NQT I've not had another full time teaching post and despite being signed up with the same temp office agencies I've not been offered any work through them either. Depressing sign of the times.
    Sign on if you need to, anything to make ends meet. And best of luck with the job hunt! 40%ish do get jobs so I hope you're amongst them! xxx

7. I had a part-time job throughout my uni course so I just transferred the job back to my home town and tried to get as much overtime as possible. There wasn't a lot of it going unfortunately so after managing to get through 3 years of uni without going into my overdraft, I completely cleared my savings and went £500 into my overdraft to get me through those summer months! It wasn't the best time! I definitely suggest getting a summer job if possible or something more permanent - then if you don't get a job for September, at least you have something to keep you going :)

8. I managed to get supply work in a school from May (they fitted in around Uni till I finished in June) I was on unqualified rates until the end of June then qualified rates for July so we were very careful with that money. My Husband was doing a GTP and was paid till the end of July also. We also had a little from tax credits and family allowance (we have 3 children) which helped out. And an overdraft and credit cards too! We were relocating over the summer so money was very VERY tight (especially as we weren't being paid till the end of September) but we managed.
    Friends of mine signed on and another upped her hours at her part time job.
    I think the idea of looking for a full time job wherever is good one. You don't have to tell them you're leaving in September (if you get a job) and if you don't get a job for September then your rent is still paid. Win win!

9. After graduating I applied to work in the local playscheme. Most counties run them and it gives you additional experience with working with children. I would look on your local councils website for anything about playscheme or send them an email etc...definitely worth it.
    I loved it so much last year that im doing it over the 6 week summer hols again this year.
    Good luck!

10. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I was fortunate enough to find a job quite early on and negotiated a June start. I came in a did a bit of cover, invigilation (in the days when teachers did), and spent time in the department writing schemes of work and familiarise myself with policy. I was paid as an unqualified teacher and this included August pay too. It meant I didn't need to work over the summer.
    However, this might not be possible. I'd suggest signing up with an agency and telling them you need temporary summer work. In my summer between degree and PGCE I worked for the police in admin; I got that gig through an agency. Alternatively, just hit the pavements and look for shop and bar work for the summer.
    Good luck